Replacing vivid r lights on my cyc with colorsource cyc lights

I currently use vivid r 21 lights to light my cyc from above. I use vivid r 63 lights to light my cyc from the ground. I am thinking about replacing the vivid r 21's with the colorsource cyc lights to light the cyc from above. I want to continue using the vivid r 63's as a ground row. My question is, how closely do the two fixtures match in color? Will I notice much of a difference between the two fictures?

How good is good enough? Only a demo will be accurate.

You'll never get an exact spectral graph match. Some extreme colors won't match at all. >90% of colors will be very good, especially on cyc.

And ... most cyc lighting unless you have perfect geometry is going to be a gradient of sorts anyhow.. So you just have a more saturated gradient where the color shifts a little top to bottom. . what's not to like
That could even be one of those "Yeah I meant to do that" moments

How good is good enough? Only a demo will be accurate.

You'll never get an exact spectral graph match. Some extreme colors won't match at all. >90% of colors will be very good, especially on cyc.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting an exact match. But as long as a majority of the colors are close I should be happy. The ground row would mostly be used to get a second color on the cyc anyway.

Vivid R is a completely different, older generation color engine than CS Cyc's.

Color-wise, you will have to eyeball matches, both because of the emitter array differences and because the Vivids have some hours on them that have degraded the emitter brightness -- and if, for example, you use blue cyc's a lot, the blue emitters may be more degraded than say the red emitters, so when you punch a nice blue up onto the cyc there's a good chance that what your Vivid R's render for R80 will be different than what your new CS Cyc's would render for R80.

Dimming-wise, you may notice the CS Cyc's dim smoother than the Vivids.

I wouldn't let that stop you from upgrading your fixtures above, but you will want to keep it in the back of your head that Vivid is a decade old product for which the concept of it is even older from Selador's pre-ETC days, and ETC along with the rest of the industry has spent the intervening years working on better color rendering and smoothness of dimming like it's the cure for cancer. You should expect the CS Cyc's to have some improvements over the Vivid R's in terms of optics, dimming, and color rendering. It's a feature, not a bug, but it may mean you need to manually intervene occasionally to get the exact looks you want.

All of this is to say that at some point gel numbers in the age of LED become only a conversation point so designers can generally describe the color they want to a third party, but ultimately you need to disregard what the gel picker does and mix your own palettes to bridge the differences between fixtures.

My first question is: Why are you thinking of replacing some of your cyc lights? Do your present cyc lights, both top & bottom, light your cyc to the satisfaction of the LDs working in yourt plant? Are SOME of your cyc lights not doing what you/your LDs need/want? (And if SOME aren't,, why not replace them all?) Are you in the unbelievabley fortunate position to have excess budget for new equipment? This sounds like an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue which may only benefit equipment vendors. Tell us more!

My first question is: Why are you thinking of replacing some of your cyc lights? Do your present cyc lights, both top & bottom, light your cyc to the satisfaction of the LDs working in yourt plant? Are SOME of your cyc lights not doing what you/your LDs need/want? (And if SOME aren't,, why not replace them all?) Are you in the unbelievabley fortunate position to have excess budget for new equipment? This sounds like an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue which may only benefit equipment vendors. Tell us more!
To answer your first question, the lights work fine the way the are. The reason I am replacing them is one because I do have the budget to replace them. And two because I need the vivid r 21's hung in another part of my rig to use with the rest of my vivid 21's as down/back light to cover the entire stage. The reason I am not replacing the ground row with the cyc lights is because I need to keep the ground row within 6" of the cyc due to size of the stage to allow for the most playing space. This distance would require that I purchase about 28 cyc lights to cover the entire cyc from the floor. I don't have that much available budget.

@davidleejr - You have a few things to think about. It sounds like you have realistic expectations and understand that it won't be perfect when mixing the two types of fixtures . Overall it sounds like this will be successful in most of your scenarios.

Let's break it down. The VIVID-Rs use Red, RedOrange,Amber, Green, Cyan, Blue, Indigo
The ColorSource Spot use Red, Green, Blue, Indigo, Lime.

So your Reds, Greens and Blues/Indigos will all work really well, but if you move into mixed colors using Ambers, Cyans, Lime/Light Green then you're going to have to make some manual adjustments by eye.

The good news is if you are on a white cyc. It's much easier to make a color look the same on a white wall opposed to a painted surface or costume since you aren't worried about what wavelengths are absorbed/reflected. With Eos metamer mix each fixture to look the same and you won't notice any spectral reflectance that looks different since the cyc is white and not a painted drop.

Also all of this will only really matter for solid cyc colors. If you're doing dance or even theatre having a split cyc gives you have more flexibility and it won't be noticed at all. So while someone might do Solid Blue for a Sky look, you could certainly do a Dark Blue Bottom with an ombre up to a lighter blue giving you a more dynamic cyc than just a solid single color.

You will likely want to spend some time coming up with your 10-15 favorite cyc colors and match, tweak, tint the 2 fixture types and then save them as their own Color Palette.

But what you are looking for is doable with a bit of time and effort if your budget doesn't allow for a full replacement.

But getting a demo Cyc unit as others said is really a good idea and mock it up and see if your eye in person agrees that the cyc looks acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back