Reports from LDI'08

[user]Gafftaper[/user], I didn't see over half of what you saw. Are you sure we went to the same show?:)

You must have a strategic plan. First hall day one, second hall day two. Follow the aisle... do not deviate from the plan or all is lost. I also haven't just had knee surgery.

It took me two days to find Barbizon (to meet up with some friends). I didn't like the way the hall was set up, difficult to find some things. The show over all seemed quite a bit scaled down. Must have something to do with the economy.

Wybron had a nice display of the effective use of ACN. They were also giving away an iPod Touch each day since their ACN monitoring program will soon be available for it and the iPhone.

HES/Barco is no longer the only one in town to have moving head projection units. Robe was showing off two units (one was even a DLP). Then again (Barco), the DML-1200 can have a Hippotizer built in.

Rose Brand showed off their SoftLED draperies with the Panorama control system (built off Arkaos software) which is available for sale or rent.

Bender had their Lifeguard GFCIs to show off. When tieing in your system, these units can provide protection to your rig, personnel, etc. They helped out with the Metering class on Sunday (which I missed because my calendar was misprinted that daylight savings time ended, oh to be back in AZ where they don't deal with that).

The show was considerably smaller than previous years, but I still got a lot of useful information out of it. It was a pleasure catching up with fellow CBers, though I didn't end up with as much swag as others seemed to have (a lot of reuseable shopping bags though). I am very happy that we had the meeting on Saturday at Apollo's booth as well as the super secret meeting that Derek put together on Friday (helped me find everyone on Saturday). I hope we can all meet up again in a couple years since I doubt that I'll be going to Orlando.

Here are some short video's I shot on my camera. By the way the literature said no cameras at LDI. I noticed lots of cameras on day 1 so I stuck mine in my pocket for day 3 when things were pretty quiet, left the flash off, and shot pictures a distance away from booths so as to not make anyone worry I was stealing product ideas. No one commented on my camera... the guitar guy was posing to look good.

A quick video of the Barco Booth... unfortunately they didn't have any of the DL.2's or DL.3's on while I was shooting this, just lots of Showguns, Showpix, and one new Showbeam in the far left bottom
player.swf
corner. If you are wondering how bright they were ask poor Kelite who spent the whole show looking at them from the other side of the aisle. I think the seizures have stopped but the blindness may last a few more days.

A video of an interesting location on the floor with lasers, LED screens, and other cool stuff.

A video of one of the coolest products at the show. Dannyn mentioned the Aqua Reign. This is their competitor the AquaVFX. Both products are similar. These guys happend to be running their's with Wildfire's Waterdye and some Wildfire UV lights on it making it really pop out.

Watch a much better video than mine that I found on YouTube here.

dvsDave and Gafftaper are attending tonight is a group called The Swingin' Johnsons--can't wait to hear all about that!
edit: it's not at all what I thought :)naughty:):[/COLOR] SwinginJohnsons.com NJ Band. One AM and they're still not home. I wonder what kind of trouble into which they have gotten themselves? :confused:

derek, you sound like a worried mother :p. Just two boys lost in vegas, with no where to go.

Part 4

DVSDave (The SHORT guy) and Dannyn checking out a cool LED booth.
proxy.php

Even when our webmaster rolls up to LDI he still manages to appear to be carrying tools on his belt.

Last edited:
Huzy, Huzy, Huzy sigh... most people wouldn't consider it even a remotely good idea to jab at the webmaster of a site that they spend most of their free time on.

BTW, it's a messenger bag, not tools. Gaff happened to take an absolutely horrible picture of me while dannym and I were inspecting a shoddy (and malfunctioning) LED dance floor. (the line on the lower right side shows you what I mean).

Last edited:
Huzy, Huzy, Huzy sigh... most people wouldn't consider it even a remotely good idea to jab at the webmaster of a site that they spend most of their free time on.

:twisted:

The insults only prove the love:mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I thought it was a satchel bag at first sight... maybe Hughesie has never been subjected to such things... Or *likes* the idea of carting kilograms of tools that aren't needed around...

Well I thought it was a satchel bag at first sight... maybe Hughesie has never been subjected to such things... Or *likes* the idea of carting kilograms of tools that aren't needed around...

depending on the person, the general rule is "the more tools a man has the more of a tool the person is"

go figure.

You can call my picture horrible. You can call it lovely. You can call the LED dance floor shoddy. You can call the LED dance floor wonderful. You can say the floor was malfunctioning. You can say the floor was experiencing a temporary outage on some pixels. You can say Hue-Z is insulting you. You can say Hue-Z teases because he loves. However none of that changes the fact that you are short. :twisted:

Two more cool things I really liked at the show.

Bliss Lights. A small laser star field projector paired with a cloud projection. Very nice effect. Bright. Not ridiculously expensive. Looks like a great product for star drops and wedding receptions.

I discovered this interesting product from the guys at The Light Source. It allows you to hang a chunk of 1 1/2" schedule forty pipe by means of C-clamp or one of their fancy couplers. Not exactly what I would use it for but I know I would use it eventually.

Possibly my favorite product... the LEG A MATIC!! from Theatricalhardware.com These guys have all kinds of good products but the Leg-a-matic makes platform construction so simple. They also have a new version that isn't on the website yet which accepts a pipe or square tube leg as well. They also have a lot of other great hardware on the site.

Here's a cool product. Uglu. It's glue in a solid tapelike form... but it's not tape it's glue. Very strong easy to use. Cool stuff. Pro Tapes was demoing it at LDI but you can get it lots of other places like Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have posted on this sooner, but I've been having issues with my DSL.

I attended the two day stage electrical seminar entitled Ohm's Law & Order: Don't Let the Smoke out. Overall I found it highly informative and absolutely chock full of useful information. This, of course would be where I have a bit of criticism for this seminar. There is really too much information presented to do any more than a cursory overview of any given subject. they should really consider breaking it down into several different all day seminars, which could then go into further depth on whichever area of stage electrical that seminar covers. Still, I would recommend this seminar to anyone who either has or is considering a career in stage lighting.

I also attended an all day seminar on special effects. This one I was a little disappointed in. I was hoping for a bit more how to and a bit less show and tell. Yes, the pyrotechnics were cool, but not really applicable to what I do. Aside from the pyro, I really didn't learn anything from this course that I didn't already know, and I most certainly do not consider myself an expert on effects.

Heading out to the show floor LED's seemed to dominate the show. I'll admit that I'm very impressed with how far LED's have come in the last decade, but they still have a long way to go before they'll be ready to take the place of most of our existing light fixtures. The water screens on display at a couple of booths were fun to watch. I even looked at a few lighting consoles. Towards the end of the day, though, the single most impressive thing on the show floor was ETC's carpet.:p It was thick and squishy and allowed me to give my knees a bit of a break from walking around the show floor. On all three days, I'd spend a few minutes at the end of the day at the ETC booth, just enjoying the carpet.

I also attended several of the shorter seminars over the weekend. For the most part I found them informative and enjoyable. There was one on the photometrics of LED's that was simply over my head, though I was able to understand a little of it. The real standout though was the metering course. This one had good, useful, and practical information on the proper use of metering equipment and absolutely applies to my job.

Several of us owe derekleffew a thank you for giving us a tour of his top secret venue and arranging for us to get comped into show.

I really enjoyed LDI this year, but for me the real highlight of the trip was heading over to the other side of Vegas and visiting my niece and her daughter, neither of whom I get to see very often.

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it earlier, the ETC booth had nice, soft, squishy carpet.:mrgreen:

Ok wait by Orlando Do you mean Orlando Florida? because I can make that. Is there any requirements to attend the conference? If not oh I do not care whats going on in my life I am there.:grin:

Ok wait by Orlando Do you mean Orlando Florida? because I can make that. Is there any requirements to attend the conference? If not oh I do not care whats going on in my life I am there.:grin:

Yes, Orlando Florida has been chosen as the tag team city- swapping with Las Vegas for at least another few years. Free passes will be available through many manufacturers and online from Lighting Dimensions.

Hope to see you in Orlando!

THREE CHEERS FOR ETC'S SQUISHY CARPET!!!

Smurphy I think the only requirement is that you have to be over 16 I'm not sure if that means you must be at least 16 or you must be at least 17. Other than that I'm sure there will be a lot of free exhibit hall passes available form a variety of places. Check in here about August and I'm sure we can help you find a free pass. Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. The official showsite (LDIshow.com) doesn't list a date yet. I found an unofficial site that says Nov 1st... but it's a week of events so that doesn't help a lot. Keep an eye on the official show site in the spring for all the information you need.

Ah thank you I hope to see you guys there in 2009. Whoo:mrgreen:

The BadBoy is big and heavy, [-]and many are lamenting that it has no CMY[/-]. (was thinking of another fixture.) The V676 is like a supercharged Virtuoso on steroids.

I really enjoyed the Virt on Steriods...it has a lot of promise...especially since it will be rental only. They can devote more time and energy to it without trying to hit a specific sales point.

Now, the BadBoy is Big...it's heavy...and you were correct in your first statement. It does NOT have CMY....at least not in the way people think about it now. They have slotted filters, not graduated wheels like most fixtures now. This enables them to dial in exact colors. So...no CMY in the way people think of CMY now. Again, rental only so they can devote more time and energy to them without worrying about hitting a MSRP.

Just my thoughts....

Possibly my favorite product... the LEG A MATIC!! from Theatricalhardware.com
I think I've seen this before from another manufacturer, but they were stupidly expensive for what you get. I was wondering if I could build my own from the hardware store (safely, of course).

Thank you for posting all of the pictures and videos. I'm jealous, but I love seeing what goes on. Someday I'm going to have to convince my job to let me have time to attend.

I think I've seen this before from another manufacturer, but they were stupidly expensive for what you get. I was wondering if I could build my own from the hardware store (safely, of course).

Thank you for posting all of the pictures and videos. I'm jealous, but I love seeing what goes on. Someday I'm going to have to convince my job to let me have time to attend.

If I remember right the guy said that the leg-a-matics run about $8... which is a decent price compared to other heavy duty hardware that size at your local hardware store. True it's going to cost you a ton to do a whole set. But buy a few every show and you'll be set.

You live in Phoenix and you haven't been to LDI? Take a couple days off and drive up to Vegas in 2010. Do like I did, stay at the cheapest dump you can find up on Fremont Street. You'll be set, won't cost you that much. It's a blast and you'll learn a lot.

$8 I like, I think it was more when I've seen it before.

I've had to work the last two incarnations. Don't laugh - I had to chaperone a dance this year. I've already told my boss about 2010 though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back