REQ advice for SFX in Children of Eden-burning tree

JohnA

Greetings to all,
I am just beginning to research this show (don't even have a script perusal). But I understand there is a scene that requires a tree to "burst into flames". I would welcome advice from anyone who has either A) done such an effect or B) has some suggestions on how to achieve it.

For lighting I have a large supply of PAR 46s & 56's. Also have (6) S4 ellipsoidals (which I plan to use for key light); and (4) of the 360Q's available for gobo use. Also 3 AMDJ autospot 150 (using HTI150 lamps). Instruments will be controlled by a Fat Frog desk.

Also have have 2 flash pots that I use regularly under the permssion of the church & local fire marshal. (I am retired and EMT with fire supression training). I am always in compliance with NFPA 1126 guidelines.

For fog/haze: 1 HES F100 fogger, 1 LeMaitre H175 hazer

The venue is the church gym ('house dims': 80ft long x40ft wide with a 20ft ceiling), The stage is at one end. Stage dims ~24ft wide x 20ft deep with 13 ft height. The effect will most likely not occur on stage, but rather in front of it, and off to one side (obviously with adequate separation from audience seating). Please advise if this description is not clear.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

John

Perhaps you could take a cue from the fake torches offered by many different companies. get some silk < red, and white> hit it with some yellow and blue light from below. put a couple of fans below the tree platform, stuff the silk in a couple of holes or hidden behind some weeds growing around the bottom of the tree, hit the fans, lights, Viola' flame. I beleive LeMaitre makes a couple of sconces and torches that might illustrate this, search for them on the web.

Talk with your director. Last time I did this show, it was simply some red light on stage. Then again the tree was made out of people so it would have been a bit difficult to do any kind of real fire....

The point I am trying to make is, see what the director wants. See how they are going to try to stage this scene. It may not be what you think it needs to be.

Jeff

We just finished this show. We built a tree that we split down the middle from 2x4 and branches we collected from yard cleanup. Covered the main trunk and base with wire mesh and paper mache. the 2 sides of the trunk were hinged at the bottom. We put white christmas lights in the tree and used an S4 to highlight the tree and dim the stage when Adam & Eve approached it. When the tree is destroyed we tripped the tree to split open and dumped the lights in the tree and darkened the stage. We considered a flash pot in the base of the tree but we had so many cast members on stage near the tree the director nixed the idea, it looked really good with the flash pot. I'll try to post a picture latter.

Have you scene the Rosco X-effects projector. It does a GREAT fire projection effect. The unit is like $3k but maybe you can rent one for the show.

I have a friend who did a nice one for Quilters just using a double gobo rotator, a flame shaped gobo and a yellow/orange colored glass. I think he followed some "recipe" instructions for fire that he got either from Rosco or Apollo... check around their websites.

Thanks Charc,

This is very similar to what he did be sure to watch the video... but he used a different static gobo and had it a little more out of focus so there wasn't a clearly defined space that was on fire... may have mixed some Rosco and Apollo products to do it.

Edit... actually I think it was the "rising flames" recipe from Rosco.. I think I remember it using the clear image glass. The picture at the top looks right. It was quite effective for a reasonable amount of cash.

Greetings to all,
I am just beginning to research this show (don't even have a script perusal). But I understand there is a scene that requires a tree to "burst into flames". I would welcome advice from anyone who has either A) done such an effect or B) has some suggestions on how to achieve it.
For lighting I have a large supply of PAR 46s & 56's. Also have (6) S4 ellipsoidals (which I plan to use for key light); and (4) of the 360Q's available for gobo use. Also 3 AMDJ autospot 150 (using HTI150 lamps). Instruments will be controlled by a Fat Frog desk.
Also have have 2 flash pots that I use regularly under the permssion of the church & local fire marshal. (I am retired and EMT with fire supression training). I am always in compliance with NFPA 1126 guidelines.For fog/haze: 1 HES F100 fogger, 1 LeMaitre H175 hazer
The venue is the church gym ('house dims': 80ft long x40ft wide with a 20ft ceiling), The stage is at one end. Stage dims ~24ft wide x 20ft deep with 13 ft height. The effect will most likely not occur on stage, but rather in front of it, and off to one side (obviously with adequate separation from audience seating). Please advise if this description is not clear.
Thanks for any/all suggestions.
John
Hey John, it's great that you are in compliance with NFPA 1126- but are you an actual licensed pyro-tech?

Thanks to all that responded with their ideas. I will be certain to check those web sites.

In response to the poster that has questioned my licensure, I will have my BATFE type 19 license prior to running this show.

In response to the poster that has questioned my licensure, I will have my BATFE type 19 license prior to running this show.

Good work John getting that license. You ran into Rigger in that post, he's sort of our resident safety police. Rigger's one of the real pro's around here who really knows his stuff and sometimes is a little harsh to point out how serious safety is.

It's amazing how many people out there claim to know about things in theater but don't and they are a danger to them self and others because of it. 99% of the time the answer to his question would come back something lame like... "No, but my sister used to work in a magic shop and she knows all about pyro."

Now that we've given you a bunch of ideas don't go away, keep coming back the booth is a fun place to hang out.

Hi gafftaper,

After working a in major trauma center for 12 years, I have seen my share of "accidents", and I understand his concern. However, I am not new to lighting or sfx (approx 250 shows over the years in a variety of venues). I am safety oriented -and thorogh--very thorough. My original training was as an electrical engineer. Consequently, I have 2 plots for all my shows: 1 'electrical' & 1 'light plot'. I calculate the load & try to balance it over all available (and rated) circuits. I confirm the theoretical calculations by utlizing an amp clamp to check each circuit.

I have always used the traditional conventional technology(i.e., fresnels, par cans, and LEKOs), and am still learning about the newer methods and the use of intels/MLs.

Thanks again for the assistance,

John

Last edited:
Thanks to all that responded with their ideas. I will be certain to check those web sites.

My man, this is great! We need more people making the point of having licensing/training etc...around here. I don't care if we're talking pyro, fall protection (even though we don't talk about rigging here), electricity or whatever.

Get that training, kidz. Get that training!:grin:

....... You ran into Rigger in that post, he's sort of our resident safety police. Rigger's one of the real pro's around here who really knows his stuff and sometimes is a little harsh to point out how serious safety is. ......

Yes, "Gruff but Lovable" What Rigger. That's what I call him! :mrgreen:

Yes it's really good to have more trained , licensed pros around.

Gruff but loveable?

Oh man, I gotta work on my people skills. Loveable my arse!
;)

And yeah, welcome to John, most heartily and sincerely.
I think I have to go climb something now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back