Requiescat in pace, Grant Imahara

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia

I am blown away by this news. Grant Imahara was such a huge part of my life and the lives of my family. We all enjoyed Mythbusters and White Rabbit, and those shows helped me teach my kids how to think critically and open their eyes to the possibilities of what you can accomplish if you constantly question how things work, why things are the way they are and what you can learn from it.

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna break the news to my kids tomorrow. The world has lost a shining star, a wonderful engineer, and an inspiration to so many. I always felt that Grant was one of us, someone who would have been at home backstage or working on automation for a show. So, raise a glass, brothers and sisters, and drink to Grant's memory.

This is so sad. I am not usually one to get too broken up by the passing of a celebrity, but like you said, he was more like one of us.

Loved his enthusiasm for his builds... I know the feeling of adventure. my kids and I called our home shop
Garage Light and Magic, where we cranked out lots of props and specials over the years. I seldom throw away odd bits of hardware or electronics. I always loved the vibe at M5 where they could pull what they needed sometimes
right from the shelf..

I know several folks who worked with or for him. universally loved by those around him. Man, Losing Jesse last year was a gut punch this is like a head shot.

Very much grew up with Mythbusters, It's honestly really sad to have heard about his passing. Brilliant mind who taught us all that you can never have too many robots.

My former day job was as owner of a mid sized telecom/IT firm here in SF. One day, I get a call from some outfit called M5 located in a gritty warehouse not far from our office. I go visit, they are smart people, we like each other, and soon a phone system with a few bleeding edge features is being installed. One night at dinner, I mention this place to my kids (aged 9 and 5 at that time), and they go bananas. That's Mythbusters, they shout. I give them the blank adult look. Soon we are on the couch after dinner, and in about 10 minutes I am totally hooked. It became our watch-together curiousity ritual. I had no idea who my client really was.

The MB production manager asked me for our kids names, and one fine day a package showed up addressed to them. Inside were Adam and Jamie bobblehead dolls, autographed glossies, etc. which became treasured items.

Adam and Jamie worked best under different roofs, and about a year later, we were called to equip Jamie's building with a similar system.

As a kid, I used to take apart discarded electronic gear with a friend and, one component at a time, blow them up with the help of a big transformer in a darkened basement, for best effect. Who knew you could get paid and famous for it?

RIP, Grant. I hope there's a big robotics shop in the sky with your name on an apron awaiting you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back