Resume advice for business related, non-theatre jobs

macsound

Another thought provoking (maybe) question for you all.

How do you write a resume that is either partly or wholly based in theatrical or entertainment when you're trying to look for a regular desk job?
I've been successful with my current job because of a recommendation. But looking to move out of the SF Bay Area and maybe get a permanently remote job, I haven't gotten much traction and I'm assuming it's because about half of my resume is "Freelance" "Contract" or "Various Companies" in live theatre or corporate stuff.

I feel like I do a good job explaining my strengths, the milestones achieved in those positions and tried to treat my job description as much like my other "real" jobs, but wondering how other people do it?

Some positions I'm looking at combine the operations, management and creativity that exists in designer and project manager roles, so hopefully it's not my own stupidity and applying for stuff I'm genuinely not qualified for.

Might be a helpful discussion for others who are looking for an alternative work industry too.

It had been suggested to me to make a skills based resume. I'm still playing around with this, so I can't say how well it will work.

Remember that resumés get used to filter out applicants, not necessarily to open the door.

The job of a resumé is to land an interview. The other interests area is a great way to get your foot in the door. If a resumé came across my desk with "cleaned up bat guts for Ozzy Osbourne", that would definitely make me want to interview you just to hear the story, and meet the person who was creative enough to think it might get my attention.

I think the real challenge is making sure that you tailor you resume to the job application, as well as the company. Some companies want to see continued employment history with other companies. Do you only work with someone once or do they call you back. Perhaps if you were on the overhire list for a venue come up with a title that reflects that so you can put the entire timeline that you work with them. I.E. Overhire production crew - with the years. then in the description list what you did with them. It can make it clearer that you did good work and they wanted to have you continue working for them.

Sometimes resumes are really just showing that you have an employment history.

I wish I could say a resume helps but I’ve been applying the everything under the sun left and right that my skills translate to and gotten 2 interviews since April. Honestly I don’t think it’s what’s on your resume it’s truly who you know. Since April my resume has gone through so many changes and tailoring that I don’t know what else I could throw at it.

I think the real challenge is making sure that you tailor you resume to the job application, as well as the company. Some companies want to see continued employment history with other companies. Do you only work with someone once or do they call you back. Perhaps if you were on the overhire list for a venue come up with a title that reflects that so you can put the entire timeline that you work with them. I.E. Overhire production crew - with the years. then in the description list what you did with them. It can make it clearer that you did good work and they wanted to have you continue working for them.

Sometimes resumes are really just showing that you have an employment history.
For a brief period I found myself flying a desk. One of my tasks was sorting through more than 100 resumes then suggesting my choice, or choices, for the job. I was one of ~5 people sifting through applications / applicants.
Personally I looked for the ability to write in cohesive sentences plus references from people I'd known and TRUSTED for years.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Honestly if you were to send me your resume... find a way to get my attention. I might get 100 resume's but a well written cover letter to my attention gets a resume read every time. You could be the least qualified person on the planet, but if you give me the respect of my time in consideration of your application, we're off on the right start. Show me that you know what you're applying for, that you know something about what the job entails, why you care more about more than paycheck and above all else acknowledge who I am or whom it is your applying to work with. A department head, a supervisor and if you don't know don't be afraid to contact someone and ask for the information. That's a foot in the door if nothing else and you'll immediately have a leg up on the stack in the circular file cabinet...

Seriously, watch this. Ashley is a good friend (and may be lurking about on the CB), excellent leader (and tech) and drops bombs throughout this stream. Take notes, 'cause...there's a lot. Everything covered here is exactly aimed at stagehands getting "regular" jobs for now, or for however long you want.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seriously, watch this. Ashley is a good friend (and may be lurking about on the CB), excellent leader (and tech) and drops bombs throughout this stream. Take notes, 'cause...there's a lot. Everything covered here is exactly aimed at stagehands getting "regular" jobs for now, or for however long you want.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not available to me north of little Donnie's walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Not available to me north of little Donnie's walls.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
embedded player not permitted was the error I got.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMfcIYaEdk&feature=emb_err_woyt

The forum wants to hot link so I had to put the redirect URL in a Code window. Don't know if it will help but give it a try, Ron.

embedded player not permitted was the error I got.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMfcIYaEdk&feature=emb_err_woyt

The forum wants to hot link so I had to put the redirect URL in a Code window. Don't know if it will help but give it a try, Ron.
Thanks, Tim.

That was quite a good video. It all depends on the way you word something and look at what you do in a different way or from a different perspective.
We are more awesome than we think we are. The Chairman of the board where I work once said to me when I was having a day where I seemed to be achieving nothing, write down what you have achieved and you will be surprised what you have.
Start your day with telling yourself D.F.T.B.A (Don't forget to be awesome).
Be awesome and have an awesome day.

Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back