The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Resume Help

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by blademaster, Jun 26, 2008.

1. blademaster

blademaster Active Member

Automation Engineer
    This thread line/idea has been done a thousand and one times. but each time the resume has to be customized and tailored uniquely to the person. I come to the best resource a tech has to get in. Here...well here and friends...Here is my resume anything i can change/add simplify anything. also i need to make a cover letter but have no idea how to start

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Cover letters most definitely need to be position specific, resumes not as much so. So if you need help with a cover letter, you'll have to tell us its purpose (are you responding to a specific job advertisement, or just sending to select venues, or applying for every internship listed?).

Post your resume, we're getting good at ripping them up and putting them back together. Be sure to dummy-up (what's the proper term for that again?) all private information.

3. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    lol. oops i went through making the resume ready to post and forgot to upload it. it is for a specific job. i cold called them for a position and they asked for my resume and i had a general one that says everything else i've done but this one is more targeted towards sound.

Attached Files:

4. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I would suggest a few cosmetic changes - Definitely Bullet Points to make each experience point and skill point stand out separately. This will make it easier for your prospective employer to read.

Also, experience/previous job listings are usually chronological from most recent to oldest, it might make it easier for your prospective employer to read/understand. But it looks like you have them listed as most important/most experience required to least important, which should work.

You should have a cover letter (separate from your experience and skills.) This should contain a brief letter to your prospective employer, and you should name the person making the decision in your letter in the salutation (ex. Dear Ms. Kell, and not To Whom It May Concern.) This personal touch can really impress.

Also, I would include some references, either former employers or family friends (include their phone number and relation to you.) Family members do not count.

Also, your Objective is not technically a sentence...

Note: These are the tips I found out when putting together my resume last month. These are not specifically tailored to a tech job, my resume was for general employment.

5. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Quick question, did you proofread this?

6. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    yes i did?? i have been know to go blind from time to time tho

7. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    That has a heck of a lot more than what i have done. if i do it in that format it would be like a half page or so. I've updated it incorporating all the changes you guys said tell me what you think

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  8. clbarker

clbarker Member

Right, right...but what if you just make the experience section more linear?

9. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    Ok so...Put all the experience on just two lines each? or change the layout of it?

what do you guys think of the date format, should i leave as is or change it to something that takes less room?

10. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    From all the resumes i've looked at online, i think the way to do it is to "columnize" I've attached my resume, this one is a general resume for acting or tech jobs. (mostly I used it to show off my diversity in college interviews)
    View attachment Resume.doc

11. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    Ok the problem with me doing it like that is i run into it being really empty. ionly have a few gigs that i can show that i've done anything

12. clbarker

clbarker Member

Here ya go Craig, I've taken you're updated resume and just changed some formatting. See if you like what I've done. I think it definitely improves readability, but just see what you think.

Attached Files:

13. blademaster

Automation Engineer
    That looks good but i want to change a few things. The table idea like that i think is a good idea though present some redundancies. and not all tables will appear the same on every system but tab stops will

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  14. clbarker

clbarker Member

Looks 100x better than the first one. Nice work!

15. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

Nice, looking better.

16. Hughesie

Hughesie Well-Known Member

Freelance Lighting Programmer/grandMA Trainer
    Alright, I think its time i threw my hat into the ring here.

Oh wise men of cb, tear my resume apart.

Attached Files:

17. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

I'm sure this is just a national/cultural thing, but if applying to US companies, I'd reword the phrase:

Eleven Years of Technical Theatre Experience in High School

(US High Schools are either three or four-year institutions.):)

Hughesie and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Hughesie

Hughesie Well-Known Member

Freelance Lighting Programmer/grandMA Trainer
    Thanks, how would you phrase it.

19. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I would remove the semi-colons at the end of every bullet point in your list of experience. To have a bullet point AND a semi-colon is a bit redundant. Also, keep your bullet points consistent, don't have two lists with actual bullet points and one with asterisks. Pick one or the other. Also, maybe Bold or Underline or Change the Font Size of the headings (or a combination of all three!)to make them stand out like headings should.

---

Perhaps 11 Years Experience in a High School Setting

or

11 Years Experience in a School Setting

or

11 Years Experience at (Name Here) High School under (Name of Person in Charge)

20. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Really, my only issue with any of them posted is they are just extremely plain. I don't think they need clip art, but maybe some better font choices besides the standards. Interesting lines, something like that. You are going to be giving this thing to artists, make yourself look like a colleague, not a stagehand.