Resume Help

I find that I am reinventing my resume format every year.

It keeps it from becoming static.

Incase it helps here is the link,

I would just suggest to find a unique font or style, that represents you.

JH

hello all,

currently working on obtaining a nice domain for my new website, but in the meantime i have been tuning up my the design and i would love some feedback on the layout and presentation of the resume and the rest of the site.

Alex Hughes's Website

It's really basic right now but the features i hope to expand further:

• Gallery of previous shows (right now picasa gallery but i want to transfer my images and use gallery 2)
  • Homepage showcasing previous jobs
  • a proper email address (attached to proper domain, as the gmail one doesn't send the right message)

a proper email address (attached to proper domain, as the gmail one doesn't send the right message)

I generally do not see a problem using a web mail service, as long as it is not something ridiculous. [email protected] is generally acceptable.

I would not list all your computer skills and rate them like that. Remember, your resume is not the definitive list of your qualities, save that for the interview. I would say something like:

"Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and Adobe design programs such as Dreamweaver and Fireworks. Also skilled with industry standard networking hardware and software protocols. Knowledgeable in both Windows and Macintosh platforms."

If you say that you are good with Adobe Dreamweaver, HTML knowledge is assumed. (adobe bought out macromedia a couple years back)

The last thing I would say is that your site looks good, but if you want to claim your expertness (grammer jokes aside) in Dreamweaver, you need to make your site pop. I mean pop. Put some Flash drop-down menus, anything you can add without making it too flashy and busy.

Edit:
One more thing, as much as you, me, and everyone like ControlBooth, I don't know if that is a link you want to put on your resume page. Some potential employers (the less cool ones) might see a link to a forum as childish.

Edit 2:
Over here where us 120 volters reside, Microsoft offers certifications in their office programs. These are really really easy tests, but they look excellent on a resume. I don't know if they have these certifications available in other countries.

Heres a Link.

Last edited:
Edit:
One more thing, as much as you, me, and everyone like ControlBooth, I don't know if that is a link you want to put on your resume page. Some potential employers (the less cool ones) might see a link to a forum as childish.

Both likes are really only being used to demonstrate how links will look, and controlbooth was the first i could think of, when i get proper links i will remove it.

thanks for all your help.

I'm still confused about the 11 years of high school experience. I, knowing you from the forum, understand that you are not a blithering idiot and were held back 7 times, but I don't know what you are trying to convey. Are you saying that you have been working on high school productions since you were in second grade, or are you saying that you started in high school and for seven years after graduating, you have continued doing HS productions, or somewhere in the middle.

I see on your current website that you are limiting your experience to 6 years. This is in the realms of understanding to many employers.

Are you still working for Outlook Communications? If so, put PRESENT for you ending date. Seeing an ending date that hasn't come to pass is odd. Also, your position/title for this job is "work experience", what does that mean?

Personally, I would keep your personal interests off your resume unless they somehow pertain to the work you are applying for. If you hit it off in an interview, bring them up then in a way to buld a relationship with your potential employer.

Are you still working for Outlook Communications? If so, put PRESENT for you ending date. Seeing an ending date that hasn't come to pass is odd. Also, your position/title for this job is "work experience", what does that mean?

Personally, I would keep your personal interests off your resume unless they somehow pertain to the work you are applying for. If you hit it off in an interview, bring them up then in a way to buld a relationship with your potential employer.

1. The 11 years was a spelling error, (which isn't present in the website form)
  2. the year is meant to be 07, which im fixing now
  3. thanks for the advice, i built that resume in a website but i will remove it as i thought it was odd also

Last edited:
I could definitely use some help with my resume as well if you guys wouldn't mind checking it out. I know it needs work, and that it should definitely be one page, but i'm not sure how to shorten it all.

Attachments

• ProductionResume.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
also another question?

have a website on .co.cc, is that sending the wrong image because i can pay to get a real domain that runs off .id.au.

What kind of special skills are good to put on a resume lighting wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back