Retainer Position - Pay Scale

carllib

Hello All,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in my searches. I have been approached by a small community theater to consider being on retainer as a 'consultant.' From the brief conversations we have had they need someone to review design plans, make recommendations for equipment purchases, and provide general technical theater knowledge. I am wondering if anyone has experience with doing a job like this and what the pay scale would look like.

As a bit of information, I have been working in technical theater for about 10 years. I have worked in a number of different capacities including Technical Direction, Design, Production Management, and Audio Visual. I am having a meeting with them towards the end of the week and have been racking my brain on where to start. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you!

Being that they are a small community theater, they probably won't be able to offer much. I have never been in this position, so this will be a shot from the hip. My guess is that you should estimate an average of how many hours a month you will likely spend working with them and then multiply that by the hourly wage you feel is fair for your market. You could put in a clause that should you be required in excess of X number of hours that they would be billed per hour after that. This way they don't take advantage of you beyond what you expect.

Being that they are a small community theater, they probably won't be able to offer much. I have never been in this position, so this will be a shot from the hip. My guess is that you should estimate an average of how many hours a month you will likely spend working with them and then multiply that by the hourly wage you feel is fair for your market. You could put in a clause that should you be required in excess of X number of hours that they would be billed per hour after that. This way they don't take advantage of you beyond what you expect.

Thank you for the thoughts. That is what I was thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back