Retro cloth-covered wire

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Anyone have a favorite source for retro cloth covered wire? I need some for a project and there are certainly several vendors to choose from. As always, I like to check if anyone has had a pleasant experience with a vendor to recommend.

Like?

proxy.php

or single conductor:

proxy.php

Both are cool. Mainly just looking to bookmark companies for future resource.

For this project I’ll probably go with individual strands. It’ll look nicer with the green porcelain warehouse shades I’m wiring.

I stopped at my Favorite Hardware store, WC Winks.. I was only doing one lamp, with a 6ft cord, though. Came out Great though. 1920's Bronze lamp with a beautiful shade.

Will post his thoughts once it arrives.
It arrived in a timely manner. Correction. He ordered two-conductor parallel, B&W houndstooth. It's smaller in diameter than expected; sized similar to 18/2 zip cord. Will be adequate for his application.

A colleague just ordered some of this https://www.snakeheadvintage.com/bl...nd-cloth-covered-3-wire-cord-cotton-per-foot/ for a project.
proxy.php

Will post his thoughts once it arrives.

I'm not that old, but I've seen a few vintage appliances. I associate the round look with heating appliances, like toasters and irons, because they used extra fillers. Lamps and radios would have had individual conductors, or a twisted pair in a woven jacket, without fillers, which makes it more rectangular.

I'm not that old, but I've seen a few vintage appliances. I associate the round look with heating appliances, like toasters and irons, because they used extra fillers. Lamps and radios would have had individual conductors, or a twisted pair in a woven jacket, without fillers, which makes it more rectangular.

Ya need to be careful of that old insulated wire as it’s often asbestos filled.

Ibid on Grand Brass as my primary supplier for many parts and odd cable types, but get the emails for https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/ About weekly interesting articles about stuff you might already know... but might not. Always a read by me in frequently being more advanced in doing something, but always read to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back