RevEAL LED Color Wash Fixtures

Good to know.

Have you moved away from Atlanta?
Yup, I left last fall. I'm now about a half hour north of Albany, NY in the land of race horses and mineral water.

Last edited:
I have three letters for you. C R I.

First of all, SeaChanger claims a CRI of 92 on the Nemo Profile. ETC claims a "color rendering as high as 90 CRI" on the Selador series LEDs. Pretty comparable?

Second of all, after reading "CRI - What does it really mean?" by Mike Wood in this winter's Protocol magazine, I don't really trust CRI to give me any really useful information when it comes to LEDs. It really depends on the usage of the fixture.

I have never used a Nemo SeaChanger, so I am not going to make judgments. I am just responding to what seemed to be claims that it is be-all and end-all of color mixing units. If I were in the market, I would definitely want a demo to compare it to some LED units.

-Tim

RevEAL claims a CRI of 95+, maintained with a built-in CRI sensor.

Whatever that means.

I've been told it's significant, but that's usually followed up by a discussion on how it's difficult to measure and standardize CRI quality.

The CRI sensor in there is designed to keep the fixture consistant throughout its life. Essentially the unit is always calibrating itself to maintain the same color profile even if you have LEDs start dimming.

First of all, SeaChanger claims a CRI of 92 on the Nemo Profile. ETC claims a "color rendering as high as 90 CRI" on the Selador series LEDs. Pretty comparable?

Second of all, after reading "CRI - What does it really mean?" by Mike Wood in this winter's Protocol magazine, I don't really trust CRI to give me any really useful information when it comes to LEDs. It really depends on the usage of the fixture.

I have never used a Nemo SeaChanger, so I am not going to make judgments. I am just responding to what seemed to be claims that it is be-all and end-all of color mixing units. If I were in the market, I would definitely want a demo to compare it to some LED units.

-Tim

The SeaChanger, like all color mixing units does some things well, and other things not so well.

Mike

As an update regarding the RevEAL CWs, the units shipping since February can pass DMX without power applied to the fixtures and the yokes are significantly stronger than the ones on previous units.

The RevEAL CW tied with the Vari*Lite VLX for product of the year ...
Live Design Lighting Products of the Year

- K. Janover
Affiliated with Prism Projection, Inc.

Sweet! We have a Prism Projections affiliate hanging around. Any chance you could clarify your relation to them and maybe lend some details as to the direction the company is taking? I saw they introduced another fixture at NAB.

I guess I'm still really interested in this company and where they're going because they (to my knowledge) came out of nowhere with a fixture that squashes the competition. It represents a huge success, especially coming from a company no one had previously heard of.

I do still hear rumblings every so often that they've still got an LED profile in R&D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back