Automated Fixtures REVIEW: Chauvet Rogue R2 Spot

Hey, Soundlight,

What company in Ohio has some? I am in Dayton, and the specs on the R2 Wash look really nice. Looking to replace some arc washes in our college theatre, and it is hard not to be interested when looking at their price point. (2) R2 Washes for the same cost as an Aura? Hmmmmm. Thanks!
Late add on : AVI in Cincinnati has the Rush MH2 and MH4 on hand if you're looking to try em out

I would take a R1 spot over a studio spot any day of the week.

Has anyone used the RH1? Looking at specs and video don't see how it's competitive, since it costs so much more then the rest of the line and only offers a minimal improvement in features, but I haven't seen it in person.

Has anyone used the RH1? Looking at specs and video don't see how it's competitive, since it costs so much more then the rest of the line and only offers a minimal improvement in features, but I haven't seen it in person.
I've only demod them, but my next planned purchase are a few RH-1s. I like it because despite how I feel about beam fixtures, clients love them, and this light lets me do the beam looks really well. In addition to that, it can also be a spot fixture and do some washy stuff. I think it's the most flexible of the line, and the dual prism is neat.

If you don't care about doing the beam thing, I would go for an R2 Spot.

Soundlight should chime in, as he has used both.

Re: R1 Spot: I've seen Victor's units in action at multiple shows and they'll be easily equal to a Studio Spot 575 and will look brighter due to color temp. They're awesome little units. The R2 spot is easily brighter than a MAC700 and I really like the dual color wheels. Allows a lot more useful colors by combining the two CTOs with the colors on the other wheel.

Re: RH1 Hybrids: I've done an extensive demo of this fixture and think it's one of the best beam units out right now. There's such a huge range of possibilities, and it does the classic Sharpy-beam look brighter and better than a real Sharpy. It does have a higher wattage lamp, yes, but that's because of all of the other optics it has to shoot through. I'd buy these in a hot second. Nice lights. And as Victor mentioned the spot possibilities really make it a multi-purpose unit.

If I were in the market for Sharpy's I would go with the R1H instead. It does all the beam stuff, plus some, and then becomes a 19 degree(i think) spot so you don't overdo the beam effects. Is a very capable fixture for rock and roll, and would be a much more versatile choice for a limited budget floor package than any beam or spot fixture anywhere near the price point.

I've discussed the R1 and R2 spots with pie4weebl in great detail. I respect everything he had to say about them. I'm just looking for direct knowledge of use between the R1, R2, SS575, and even the Elation PS5r. I have direct knowledge of the SS575 and PS5r and I would like to find something near equivalent greater in output. I don't need the extras that the R2 offer, but I want to be sure I have enough output. I do several outdoor events with them and need a strong beam from the fixture. I would prefer the R1 simply because its options and price, but I want to make sure it has the output I need. Thank you!

I've discussed the R1 and R2 spots with pie4weebl in great detail. I respect everything he had to say about them. I'm just looking for direct knowledge of use between the R1, R2, SS575, and even the Elation PS5r. I have direct knowledge of the SS575 and PS5r and I would like to find something near equivalent greater in output. I don't need the extras that the R2 offer, but I want to be sure I have enough output. I do several outdoor events with them and need a strong beam from the fixture. I would prefer the R1 simply because its options and price, but I want to make sure it has the output I need. Thank you!

So I am looking to get some insight on beam lights..I have been thinking about getting some sharpys but am interested to hear how they compare with other beam light fixtures from chauvet, elation, ADJ, etc. I'm looking for a more affordable light that can still get similar output and beam look as the sharpy

Any help would be appreciated

Have you used the R2 Beam from chauvet? Wondering if I can get a similar look to the sharpy beam. I am at a large venue as well where I need some distance
You can actually use both sharpys and R2 beams together, and it is extremely difficult to tell the difference. Even the color wheel has the same colors in the same order. The gobos are a little different, but in the air you can get the beams to look almost identical. Speed of movement effect is also almost exactly the same. the prism has a slightly different spread, but close.

The R2 beam is actually a little bit brighter than the sharpy.

Sorry for replying to this old thread, but there's something I must know! And I would be glad if someone could answer.

Chauvet is rating their R2 Spot at 5500lx @ 5 meters, 16.5° beam angle (here).

In this review, they are compared to a Martin MAC 700 with a brand new lamp.

Martin rates their fixture at 19640lx @ 5 meters, 16° beam angle (here).

Can someone (@soundlight ahem ahem) please explain the differences? How are they almost identical in real life output, but on paper there's an almost 4x difference?

Thank you!

I never believe on paper photometrics, they're less and less relevant with LEDs. I can only tell you what I and everyone else in the shop saw when the fixture was pointed on the wall and also the beam through haze.

Oh I have no doubt, I believe you 100%.

I just wish manufacturers would come up with some kind of measurements standards.

I know what a MAC 700 outputs, but I don't know what a R2 Spot outputs. So when considering fixtures and looking for something similar or brighter than let's say a MAC 700, I might eliminate the R2 Spot without even considering a demo only because it's 4 times dimmer on paper.

It's really hard, especially with multi-chip LED PARs. It's so hard to get a *real* measure of output, especially with units that zoom, and especially with units that have 4+ color mixing. Compare an arc source moving wash to an RGBW LED source moving wash, for instance, and you're getting around 25% output in a very saturated blue on the RGBW LED unit, but you might only be getting 10% out on arc source unit. In white however, the arc source will be just as bright as the LED.

The other thing that I've noticed with LED spots is that the beam is very, very flat across the entire spread most of the time, whereas with arc source units, there is almost always a defined hot spot of some sort. If measuring from center intensity, this could account for some differences in measurements.

I am looking for a spot I can also use to wash small areas. I was origionally looking for a spot with a zoom but the rogue R2 spot has everything I need but the zoom. How much wider is the beam when using the frost? Can the prism and frost be used at the same time?

Thanks

Chauvet is making real lights that pros are buying and behringer is making a real console that pros are buying. Both are real products developed in house, not renamed OEM gear. China has caught up and will soon leap ahead.

China has manufactured $3000 Macs and $15,000 HP servers for a decade or more. They will build anything you want to any price point you ask for. The more you pay them, the better the stuff will be. :)

I suppose affordable is always relative. We can't even get our school board to fund us to fix a clear com belt pack, I nearly faint when I see that pricetag

Coming in late to the game, but I just purchased 3 (I want more) Rouge 2 Spots for our high school theater. I am running an ETC ION, which has the fixture profile already programmed, but I can't seem to make all the effects work. I am sure I am missing something..I can switch the gobos but I can't make them spin..as far as I can tell..Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back