Revolving Doors

propmonkey

For Grand Hotel we will need 3 revolving door units. but as of now we don't have much of an idea on how to go about this. yesterday in the library me and the director were looking at a revolving book rack which is starting to give us an idea. we will need 3 doors on ead unit and we want the doors to be on the ground level but they will need to be able to move around stage.

Attachments

• revolving door idea.jpg
    revolving door idea.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 337
Hey,

The casters seem like they're make it really easy to move around the stage, but is there a way to lock them even with just a weight behind the base of the door so that when you try to use the door it won't slide around when pushed and instead turn like you want it too?

~Nick

If you were to use casters that lock, such as a foot lock device, you will probably be able to keep the base stationary. The best example I can give is the little casters that are often used on file cabinets. They often have a little lever that you kick with your foot to keep the casters from starting to roll. The only pproblem is that I do not know if these type of casters are available in large enough sizes. I would guess that they would be available but I am not familiar with all of the types of casters available. The other issue would be whether or not the locking device would be anle to withstand both the weight of the set piece and the torque that will be created each time the doors are spun. It looks like you have a very good idea based on your drawing. On the outside of the door, you will want to use non-locking casters. They should also be able to swivel. As long as all of the casters are well lubricated, your idea should work.

nate said:
If you were to use casters that lock, such as a foot lock device, you will probably be able to keep the base stationary. The best example I can give is the little casters that are often used on file cabinets. They often have a little lever that you kick with your foot to keep the casters from starting to roll. The only pproblem is that I do not know if these type of casters are available in large enough sizes. I would guess that they would be available but I am not familiar with all of the types of casters available. The other issue would be whether or not the locking device would be anle to withstand both the weight of the set piece and the torque that will be created each time the doors are spun. It looks like you have a very good idea based on your drawing. On the outside of the door, you will want to use non-locking casters. They should also be able to swivel. As long as all of the casters are well lubricated, your idea should work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
page 1220 of the catalog. We use them at school all the time, they lock quite well. it may work, but i think that you would have a problem with the top if its as tall as a normal door. it would probably shake and possibly fall. do you have a way of mounting at the top?

what about a pheumatic caster system where the peice is lifted off its base for transport then placed back down to have a solid base during scenes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back