RGB color mixing

rapscaLLion

Alright, for our end of the year show we're gonna need lots of dynamics in the lighting. I've been getting lots of people saying just use all the strip lights (three channels on each), put a red, green and blue gel in the channels and I'll be able to mix any color I want. I know how all this works in computers and such, but I was wondering how well it would work in a theatre. I assume it would work somewhat, but I also assume it would take some work finding the right color gels for good mixing. Any suggestions?

Yes, to some degree you can mix, but it's going to be a wash of light and very dependant upon the location of the fixtures as to what it's going to look like or what's covered. That will get you lots of colors in a very broad wash, but little control over them. Also since the filaments are large, changing between them will not be that quick as per a flicker between colors. Add to this that in mixing you will have to account for amber shift - the light when dimmed to get colorations will get an amber color to it in both washing out the punch of pure colors and make it difficult to mix. Primary colors would be the key and hot color temperature on the lamps, perhaps even with some color correcting gel might have a good effect. Should you have budget for re-lamping, matching the wattage to the intensity would be the best plan. Primary color red would have a much lower light transmission than blue or green thus you might need a higher wattage lamp on the red cyc than the other ones also to get the same output.

Can be done, and it can look really good but if it's more of an effect you are looking for, and a quick change between colors in localized areas I don't know if strips would be as useful. Lots of time to tinker is the best plan. More an overall coloration for a few colors at preset levels especially on a cyc or overhead wash of the stage, if not foot lights. If they are not RSC/double ended types you can stand them up as side lights also, but double ended ones are not usable at more than a 15 degree angle.

No, quick changes are not necessary.
We don't need true color mixing really, just something close to it that will give a good variaty of good locking colours. We have enough strips to covor the whole stage. The rest in between will just be a few fresnels.

what we usually use in our high school is 4 sets of 3 scoops from the top of the cyc, one each of red, green, and blue, and then 5 sets of striplights each having 3 each of red, green, blue, and white and we just use rosco's cyc silks for the colors. it looks really cool when you get just the right mixture going on.

Laso keep in mind that if cost is an issue, you can plan on using one to two sheets of gel/strip depending on the size of them, and, if you've got the things cookin the whole show, you're probably going to burn up the low transparency gels every run (dark reds, blues, and greens). $5/sheet or thereabouts can add up when you're on a tight budget.

Too bad roundels are so expensive.

Uhh well RGB mixing in live is tricky business. For starters, as you'll have different centers you'll get oddly coloured shadows. Best way to solve this is to create a very diffuse lighting source, ie: reflect the lighting from a white vinyl etc. In that way you'll blend the lighting centers. Needless to say, you'll lose most control over it too!!!!

True, there are several fixtures, MAC600, MAC200, Studio Color, ColorCommand and ColorMerge that would ease up and make things tidyer and more effective.

Heheh, intelligent lights are out of our reach, but we may have access to some really cool LED fixtures. Otherwise I don't think it's worth trying.

Thanks guys :)

Is this a play or a music event? Granted, I may be too late, today is the last day of school here! :!: :D :p :roll: :wink: :x

It's a talent show. And you are too late, but thats ok. We did fine with Red, Green and Blue without trying to mix them.

American DJ sells plastic roundells at a cheap cost. Otherwise McMaster Carr sells A-19 lamp size bulb covers which are kind of like a rubber boot that you slip over a lamp. Very interesting they are, I have one at work out of novelty as an idea for a safety cover/colored lamp for some stringer lights. We did not buy into it, but it certainly would provide a base color plus protect from shattered glass.

You can also buy bulk amounts of lamps in colors fairly in expensively thru lighting suppliers such as Halco, Bulb Man, Bulbtronics, Starlight Global, All Bulbs, Sitlers, and many many more suppliers. A decent bulk price would be in the range of $1.50 to $2.00 each for 100w A-21 lamps.

Just for future refrence in that you already did the show. How did it go by the way, decribe it further if you will. What types of effects did you do, what equipment and placements did you use? Any tricks or special things you want to pass on to others doing similar shows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back