RGBW LED tape > from remote to DMX (?)

lightTree77

I'm working on a show where the company has LED tape (RGBW), controlled via remote. I believe it is or is similar to
Illume Lighting
196 in. Color Changing RGB Kit with Plug In Driver and Color Changing Remote
As I want to control said LED tape from the light board I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that. My thoughts are:
- re wire the end of the LED with a RGBW ribbon tail to a DMX transformer and new power supply
- see if you can use it's plug in driver for power and solder ribbon tails to the other end to a DMX transformer (is that a thing? I've never tried)
- other thoughts?

Take a look at the reddit post. There were some good suggestions on this.

I used DMXKing ArtNet -> LED strip box. It was around $125 from Amazon and can handle 8 universes for individually addressible LED strips. All told I was controlling ~4500 channels through 2 DMXKing boxes and a laptop running Magic Q all over Wifi with a router from WalMart. Brilliant stuff. I have a post about it somewhere-

-rj

I hate those little remote controlled drivers. Just buy a 4 channel DMX decoder. This is a high quality one that you will be able to reuse for years or there are several available on Amazon/eBay for around $20. Power and DMX go into the decoder and the power for the LEDs comes out. Most decoders will run on either 12V or 24V so as long as the voltage of your PSU and the voltage of your LEDs match you're good to go.

I hate those little remote controlled drivers. Just buy a 4 channel DMX decoder. This is a high quality one that you will be able to reuse for years or there are several available on Amazon/eBay for around $20. Power and DMX go into the decoder and the power for the LEDs comes out. Most decoders will run on either 12V or 24V so as long as the voltage of your PSU and the voltage of your LEDs match you're good to go.
Thanks for the post - I was thinking the same thing after I mulled it over - I think that's going to be our best game plan and should be good! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back