Richard Pilbrow R.I.P.

I had the privilege to be in a few conversations with him at conferences. It was great to see someone who was at the very peak of the industry working so hard to inspire and teach new generations to do even greater things.

RP (RIP)
For my friends on CB that are not linked to me on LinkedIn, I'll copy and paste my thoughts here:
The world has lost a great man today. Before he left us, I was happy to hear that his darling wife Molly managed to read this note to him and it brought a smile to his face:

I so fondly remember 1993 when we met at the CBC in Toronto. You were visiting with Tony Gottelier (RIP) as you where there previewing Show Boat. All the love you've given me over the years is so cherished. I can't believe how quickly you treated me as a peer, when all I ever did was look up to you as a mentor (and often, as an uncle). Every time you entered a room filled with students waiting with baited breath on your every word; how quick you were to ask THEM what THEY were up to. You have an incredible knack of bringing the best out in everyone you meet. A real Producer. A real Gentleman.

I would not have had the guts to embark on my career without the love and support of this incredible and gracious human being. It was a few years later, through Richard, I met Fred Foster (RIP) and my dear friend Rob Halliday. If you want to cherish Richard’s memory, help Rob publish Richard’s book: “A Sense of Theatre, A book about the creation and history of the National Theatre in London.” kickstarter.com/projects/asot/a-sense-of-theatre

Here is a lovely picture of Richard and me at the production desk of Tale of Two Cities on Broadway in 2008, designed by his great friend Tony Walton (RIP); Richard wearing his trademark white Macintosh tuxedo and myself in my Microsoft high-vis jacket.
Richard Tale.jpeg

RP (RIP)
For my friends on CB that are not linked to me on LinkedIn, I'll copy and paste my thoughts here:
The world has lost a great man today. Before he left us, I was happy to hear that his darling wife Molly managed to read this note to him and it brought a smile to his face:

I so fondly remember 1993 when we met at the CBC in Toronto. You were visiting with Tony Gottelier (RIP) as you where there previewing Show Boat. All the love you've given me over the years is so cherished. I can't believe how quickly you treated me as a peer, when all I ever did was look up to you as a mentor (and often, as an uncle). Every time you entered a room filled with students waiting with baited breath on your every word; how quick you were to ask THEM what THEY were up to. You have an incredible knack of bringing the best out in everyone you meet. A real Producer. A real Gentleman.

I would not have had the guts to embark on my career without the love and support of this incredible and gracious human being. It was a few years later, through Richard, I met Fred Foster (RIP) and my dear friend Rob Halliday. If you want to cherish Richard’s memory, help Rob publish Richard’s book: “A Sense of Theatre, A book about the creation and history of the National Theatre in London.” kickstarter.com/projects/asot/a-sense-of-theatre

Here is a lovely picture of Richard and me at the production desk of Tale of Two Cities on Broadway in 2008, designed by his great friend Tony Walton (RIP); Richard wearing his trademark white Macintosh tuxedo and myself in my Microsoft high-vis jacket.
RP (RIP)

Hi Rob and all CB'ers:

It is now critically important that we help Rob Halliday get "A Sense of Theatre" published. Please do what you can to contribute. The easiest method may be the Kickstarter campaign set up by Richard's daughter Daisy:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks!

ST

I have had the privelege to talk and learn from Richard many times at USITT and the BroadWay Master's Lighting Classes over the years. He was alway generous with his knowledge and suggestions and was more then a friend and gentleman. I will miss talking with him at future events. The best to his family at this time of year and all of the people that know him.
Cheers, Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back