Riddle Me This!

At the high school I TD at we have an Express with AVAB DD2 dimmers. When I was a student here we had old school scrimmers. Anyway, have run into a weird issue, maybe someone could help.
Right now it's set up as dimmer per circuit. One of the channels will not come up at all during a cue I recorded. I am able to address the channel and bring the lamp up in other cues, even when I brought up all the channels at a glow, I can still control that one channel. Seems to be the cue for some reason will not bring up at one channel. I thought the 6" fresnel was burned out or the socket was bad, but everything is fine. I checked the plug and the cable connecting it...nothing wrong. I tried swapping the instrument just to make sure, still won't come up. I thought maybe a rely cube in the dimmers was bad, but again nothing out of the ordinary. I tried to erase the channel and rerecord it, still no go.
Has anyone with an Express ever had this issue? Is there possibly some setting that only comes up in that cue that might be killing the channel?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmmmm.

So you can grab the channel and run it, but just one cue number won't?

Erase the cue and remake the same cue on the same number. See if it still does it.

Hmmmm.

So you can grab the channel and run it, but just one cue number won't?

Erase the cue and remake the same cue on the same number. See if it still does it.

Already tried erasing and rewriting the cue.

So upon further investigation, it's not just one cue, it seems to be when certain channels, maybe the same dimmer pack, are at a certain level. When I set the other channels at 35%, the one channel, 114, acts erratic, or not at all. I also noticed in some cues when 114 is set to the same level, the lamp is definitely not up at the same level as the other lights.

Good Morning

Is this show patched 1-1?

You may want to save the show and clear the console to 1-1 for testing.
NOT on show day, of cause.

So if you've cleared your cues and you grab the channel that 114 is in, can you control it properly?
If so, is there any issues if you bring other Channels / dimmers up?
It sounds like this is an EXPRESS issue.
Check the patch, make sure the dimmer doesn't have an attribute associated with it.
I've seen EXPRESS/ION retain old setting if they haven't been deep cleared in a long time.
There is a soft key in the CLEAR menu.

SAVE YOUR SHOW before trying any of this.

Let us know how you fare

Yeah that sounds like a dimmer issue. What are you using to run the fixtures. As well as the power coming in.

If you don't have the juice and the dimmer is having issues it will be noticeable.

If the dimmer has the option to control the fixture from whatever menu it has start running some tests. If that's not an option then swing the fixture over to a different dimmer either at the fixture side or dimmer side whichever is easier.

I doubt it is the board but in good measure Patch > Channel > 114 > Enter and see if there is a profile attached. If so hit Profile Softkey > 0 > Enter and that should clear a profile.

This should also go without saying but must check your subs to make sure they aren't loaded with something if you are running them in tandem with the cues. Even though it's HTP. You could have a Inhib setting. Easy way to test this is to switch to a different page Sub > Page > 9 > Enter. If any of your bump buttons are flashing you had something running grab the Fader run it full then back to 0.

Look forward to more updates.

So after chatting with our shop tech (his company installed our dimmer rack and are one of the few places in SF that can service AVAB dimmers) he had me swap out the driver card to see if that fixed the issue. When it didn't, he said he's sure it's the rely cube. I have 6 spare AVAB DD 2 dimmers from a renovation on our black box theatre so I'll grab a cube and see if that fixes the issue. The shop tech said those are the only two items on AVAB dimmers that would usually be needing replacement. Man, I really want so new dimmers.

Seems in 2013 the company still existed.
You mean since being bought by ETC in 2003? Congo was originally an AVAB product, which might clarify some things to some minds.

So I would call ETC Tech Services at 1-800-688-4116 while in front of the console or dimmer rack.

I've had a similar issue twice before. One was crosstalk between two dimmers in the same module (CD80); and the other somehow a "linked channel" setting got into the Expression3.

You mean since being bought by ETC in 2003? Congo was originally an AVAB product, which might clarify some things to some minds.

So I would call ETC Tech Services at 1-800-688-4116 while in front of the console or dimmer rack.
Just to clarify @derekleffew, ETC purchased AVAB Transtechnik in 2003. AVAB America, which produced the dimmers in question, are still around as their own company.

However, please feel free to call us in front of the console at 800-688-4116 and we will be happy to troubleshoot with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back