Rider, What Rider?

Don't get me started on how many times I've shown up to a show and there's no room for the lighting console. And I run most of my shows off a laptop with a wing. I cry a little.

If I got to a show site and didn't see a console (even if I was carrying one) it would be a red flag for me suggesting that the rig probably hasn't been tested before I got there.

Also a lot of times its not worth the effort to carry your own desk, most clubs with some cans and a half dozen movers all have pretty good punt pages and that's all you really need to do a show if you're not carrying a rig.

Not that I have a lot of experience with touring, but I think part of the issue has to do with the talent. If they cared about the show more than the money, they'd insist on certain things. I did some support for a metal band a few years ago and they were very into the lighting. They had 2 operators, one for the general stage looks, ballys, etc. and one to pick up specials with the moving rig that overrode the general look. Each had their own desk. And even tho the show was a basic 120k with about 24 movers, it looked spectacular.

It's just too bad that money overrides art.

It's just too bad that money overrides art.

Did a show with the Flaming Lips in September. If anything, the art overrides the money in their case. It was as much the theatrical aspect as the music for most of the show.

They had 2 operators, one for the general stage looks, ballys, etc. and one to pick up specials with the moving rig that overrode the general look. Each had their own desk.

This sounds needlessly convoluted. I can understand having a separate key light operator for a televised event like farm aid, but for just a normal show?

Did a show with the Flaming Lips in September. If anything, the art overrides the money in their case. It was as much the theatrical aspect as the music for most of the show.
Well, since you brought them up, here is their infamous Tulsa appearance.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a rider that asked for 30k up and 30k down, a few moving lights and programer. When I the band showed up, the LD asked if I could substitute some gell because it was still the plot from the old LD, and he had not had a chance to make a new one. No big deal, that happens pretty often, however, later that day he mentioned that he had been touring with this band for over 5 years!

This sounds needlessly convoluted. I can understand having a separate key light operator for a televised event like farm aid, but for just a normal show?

Perhaps. Not my decision. I was just there as a tech for the rig, which they were renting, not carrying with them. They had a regular LD. The second guy was some other tech on their tour. It was a few years ago. I think they did it that way because they were on a festival tour (OzFest) and these were B rig shows they were doing on the side. So they didn't have the same stage, etc. as they would have normally. Also, the lead singer tended to never do the same thing twice, and there were no followspots. So any specials were handled by some group of moving lights.

I did a three band show the other day. The middle band was carrying a small digital board and they were going to run monitors from the house. Their board took a dump, something in the firmware, and they ended up having to build a new mix on boards they weren't used to. Good thing we had them already in place for the other bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back