Rigging by Walmart?

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
So I had a break before an event yesterday and decided to just go wander around the local Walmart to kill time and came across their hardware section to find these guys:

proxy.php
proxy.php

They are made by Peerless, but I've never seen a quick link with a stamped rating on it. Not sure of the safety factor, but on their website they don't categorize these for overhead lifting (though I know that's a somewhat contentious term in another thread).

Just wanted to share and see what the thoughts were since I've only ever heard of Maillon Rapide making rated links. They had all sorts of interesting things too, cable clips, thimbles, wire rope, turnbuckles, and proof coil chain. Most of it was made by Peerless, but a few were some off-brand China stuff. Kind of scary to think about the people that might buy this stuff and what they might engineer.

Thats interesting. Peerless is an ok company. Perhaps ask them if its designed for overhead rigging?

I've got a bucket of Peerless chain from when they built our space. They used it for trim chain. I don't have an immediate application use for this that would involve overhead rigging, but just thought it was strange since the industry understanding is that no one in the US makes these rated. I'm guessing it's more for their industrial side of things, hauling or strapping stuff down kinda things.

You can get the same stuff at any Ace, Home Depot, Lowes... etc. Most of it is there to fix garage doors and stuff around the farm. They also sell guns as Wal-Mart. And beer. And liquor in some places. No reason to really be concerned.

I'm more concerned about what get "engineered" with dog chain and bailing wire. (and liquor!)

You forget the phrase "Hold my beer." (Coming from someone whose home state is well represented on the people from Wal-Mart website).

Well I suppose the upside is that if they do break you will be forgotten about in the stampede to sue WalMart. ;)

Last edited:
Actually I've seen "rated" Chinese quick links lots of places. Now how much can you trust that rating is a very good question. My previous theater was built about 7 years ago. It came with "rated" Chinese made quick links installed by the rigging company, as the connection point between the 20' battens and the sand bag lines.

Hey @chausman this thread sounds like some of the rigging at your theater!

Well, the thing that surprised me was the stamp on Peerless which is very not Chinese. I am familiar with non-standard rigging practices for things like fences and trailers and dog houses. Beer helps get those creative juices flowing.:dance:

There is no such thing as a hardware store rigging guy unless that particular person also happens to be a rigger on the side. Home improvement store workers riggers as Dillard's employees are fashion designers. Nothing really wrong with that - it's your responsibility to know what to do (and what not to do) with the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not impossible that one of Wal-Mart's suppliers got taken. And you don't counterfeit 100s... you counterfeit 10s and 20s...

Sent from my SPH-L720

Ive seen these stamped quick links before, never knew where they came from. Pulled a bunch out and replaced them with shackles.

Also have to second any general hardware store or place that sells this stuff generally never have anyone that TRULY know about rigging or how to use the stuff they sell. Sometimes they have a general understanding, but I've heard some BAD advice communicated in these places.
Really annoying how many people who have the "it can't be that hard" mentality to rigging. Same with electrical, how often I see stuff I want to right away fix all over the place. They honestly think they know enough about it, however never having any proper instruction etc.

I happen to have been in my local Harbor Freight yesterday, and I noticed that while they did have three phases of quick links, and the packaging had some pound strength rating on it, the links were not stamped in any way.

The warning on the hanger bag was something like "do not use wire having a rating higher than..."

Sent from my SPH-L720

Users who are viewing this thread

Back