Rigging classes around PA, NJ, and NY

TechGeek

Hey guys, I am looking to take some basic rigging courses and even get more in depth. I live in NJ so traveling to PA and NJ isn't that bad.

I'm posting this for the three states just because I know there's probably tons of people out there asking the same thing.

Does anyone know a good training place in the area?

The only luck I have had is finding Rigstar which I would love to do but it's too far.. I could do it as I do have the money and could take a week off school and work but then I need to pay for food, and a hotel.

My local IATSE was offering some sort of rigging course awhile ago but I missed it. I emailed them but got nothing back.

I'm having no luck finding a place. Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel inclined to say that while classes are great, nothing is a replacement for rigging shows under a competent rigger. that is where you will learn what real word rigging scenarios are. i will take a rigger who has a year of experience over a rigger who has taken a few classes any day.

As a rigger who started by experience and then became a ETCP recognized rigging trainer I would obviously argue it takes BOTH experience and education to become a better than average rigger. Either one alone does not supply an individual with all the tools needed.

I feel that before I can even go on a job I need to have some education which is why I want the courses.

Porkchop, I will defiantly shoot Sapis an email! Thanks'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Thread moved to Education forum.

2. Not an endorsement or recommendation, as I have no first-hand knowledge, but this seems to fit the criteria:
http://circuswarehouse.com/2014/aerial-performance-rigging-jonathan-deull/

Does anyone know if there is a circus rigging book, we have one for stage rigging, and arena but i can't think of one on rigging for the circus?

If you're an absolute beginner go pick up a copy of Jay Glerum's Stage Rigging Handbook

If you want to learn arena rigging i would read Entertainment Rigging first.

Go to the Mountain Productions "hoist school" course if they still have it. I went with a friend, and while I was more inclined to partake in the after hours activities he said it was very beneficial!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have a regular rigging book about bridles and angles and all that, however it's more for cranes and lifting than stage. So I will defiantly pick up a copy of that Stage Rigging Handbook, I do also want to learn arena rigging more over stage so I'll also pick up Entertainment Rigging too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if there is a circus rigging book, we have one for stage rigging, and arena but i can't think of one on rigging for the circus?...
One of the Rigging American members of the SML has written (or is writing) a book on rigging aerial performers. The next time he mentions it, I'll try to remember to post it here.

EDIT: Two books (thus far):
http://www.lulu.com/shop/steven-san...-trapeze-bars/hardcover/product-20716464.html
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/stev...erial-fabrics/hardcover/product-21462600.html

Last edited:
Entertainment rigging, by Donovan. Is a gooden for Arenas(obviously). Jay Glerem's is great for theatre, but offers little outside of that box. I went to a Glerum weekend seminar, it was okay if you wanted to know about inspecting theater fly systems, but nothing useful for corporate or rock & roll settings. Now that Harry and Jay are gone, who will step up as the next leading authority?

Interesting to learn that there is an aerial act book in the works; that is more akin to the rigging involved in rock climbing, which is completely safe, smart, and physically sound, but looks scary as hell to even experienced riggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back