Rigging does wear out

For manual counterweight, I think 50 years is not an unreasonable expected life. That assumes a good design and install, with all pieces properly installed and aligned. Have to have a good loading bridge. Access for regular inspection will help extend life. It also assumes the system is operated and maintained well. A thorough annual inspection will add years. If you crash three sets each season, all bets are off. Probably should expect to change handlines three times but may get away with twice depending on use and environment. If you build scenery on stage, that will shorten life. Properly used and not abused , the lift lines should last but a few are likely to be damaged and need replacement.

Curtains - probably should be replaced three times (install and replace twice) in that 50 years. My preferred curtain track will probably last 50 years with basic maintenance and new ropes after 25 years.

Anything motorized is different, especially the newer "packaged hoists". I just don't know. I can't believe the controls will go more than 25 years and maybe not 15 for simple dumb fixed speed systems. Variable speed less. And if you have more than simple up down controls, I'd expect the console to go a max 15 years - maybe only 10 or maybe it will go 20.

And annual maintenance mandatory for motors.

YMMV

My problem is one or two squeaky headblocks . The bearings are "permanently lubed" and there is no easy way of getting oil to them. It is hard to justify replacing the headblock for want of a few drops of oil.

My problem is one or two squeaky headblocks . The bearings are "permanently lubed" and there is no easy way of getting oil to them. It is hard to justify replacing the headblock for want of a few drops of oil.
Are you sure its the bearings? You might try a torque wrench on all of the bolts and see if that "aligns" things a little better, and be sure it's not something else rubbing. Easy if you have good access, not so easy at all if you don't. Even old sleeve bearings rarely squeaked, even if the holes in the side plates had become elongated. Almost always something rubbing side plate.

Got a ladder up to it today. No visual indicators point to rubbing on the cheeks. I can see 1/2 of the outside edge on the sheave, no wear there. This is main drape, 1985 install, Clancy, well hung space. steady squeak that may or may not happen. Although just recently it has become very persistent. Of course it did not make a sound when the system was recently inspected.

Will not be able to pinpoint that till I can get an extra hand, hopefully next week.
Sometimes a medical style stethoscope can be your friend. Of course we have many 'new age' tools 'n toys to chose from but sometimes a simple stick in your hand can convey the sounds of internal mechanical noises to within range of your hearing.
NOTE: I'm NOT suggesting anyone sticks a stick their ears. Sometimes a stick mechanically conveying sounds / vibrations to the exterior bottom of a waxed cardboard beverage container can be your friend. A little McGyver'ing isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as you're not being too dumb about it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Ha, I should have said extra ears as I only have one that works. And that needs an aid so I cannot tell where a sound is coming from.

I have a little project where they knew something was amiss with the rigging - 30 or so linesets from the 1960's I'd estimate, wire guided arbors, from a manufacturer long out of business, and from an era where most parts were cast iron from scrap, basically ignoring a lot of metallurgy good practices. Looks like it was installed just a day after they stopped using clove hitches to attach the 6x7 wire rope to the battens. They said they wanted to do it right but I don't think they knew it was more than some adjustments, lubrication, and maybe wire rope. Facilities people get cold or hot, and understand the boiler or ac has to be replaced. Black water down the hall, and plumbing has to be replaced. But try to tell them rigging has to be replaced and you'd think you were asking them to replace the dirt under the footings, which they would do if there was a pollution issue. So I present three options from fully motorized to all dead hung, in the $100K to 500K range, and only then do they say they are thinking $20K.

So, just a reminder that rigging does wear out. I tell my clients today that without motors but with basic maintenance, 50 years except 10-20 yrs on curtains, probably 25 on track. I don't want to talk about motorized rigging life because almost no one would install it.

My point is don't get mislead into believing non-motorized rigging lasts forever.

THANK YOU. This is a battle I am currently fighting- rigging which has not been maintained, mostly due to a lack of funding. We are in the process of replacing a motorized sound shell, which will allow us to replace our non-motorized battens. THAT will hopefully be a start toward a better system overall.

This is something my colleagues and I have been trying to persuade our school system of. We have a mix of single-purchase, double-purchase, and motorized systems, but none of the schools with manually operated ones have loading bridges. I can't fly any individual thing that weighs more than what I can haul unassisted, since I have to take the pipe all the way out to load the arbor, and light hangs are a downright Sisyphean endeavor, since the pipe has to travel every couple of instruments or fly unbalanced.

System is from ~1988, and it's not the worst-rigged school in the area. Of course, the guys who raise the biggest fuss lose their fly systems entirely and get dead-hang forced on them.

Lack of loading bridge in a manual counterweight system is just about criminal in my no so humble opinion on this matter.
Another big Bill in the industry agrees with you, but we're stuck to make the best of it.
I haven't even mentioned the bumble****ery that went into the electrics.
This system has three sizes of brick, the heaviest of which is wider, but not thicker, than the midweight ones. The electrics are counterweighted entirely with midweight ones. I'd need to be 7'4" to adjust the arbor load without a stepladder. Another problem that could have been mitigated by installing an actually complete counterweight system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back