Rigging FUBAR

1. PERFECT end to my Friday, where I have spent the day up on a very expensive truss rig, all done correctly.
2. I can't stop laughing (because I'm too flabbergasted to cry)...
AND
3. I have seen equivalent to this in Oregon City, and Orange County, Ca.

It's EVERYwhere!

Well, as everyone has said, it is a mixture of "good ole boy" technology and engineering, some "creative" rigging and some WTFWYT execution. It was not an overnite happening, it took 40 years or so to evolve. In the absence of any real rigging or entertainment industry information, if it didn't fall down, it must have been OK! We will be removing everything you see and starting from scratch, there simply is no "fix" to the rigging as you see it.

Anyone want to buy some very used pulleys and shieves???? Absolutely no guarantee or warranty!!!

Last edited:
So...... I am guessing that the large duct taped sandbags hanging over an open door should be replaced with a 5 gallon bucket from Home depot, rope tied to the handle? right? then filled with loose nuts and bolts for the counterweight?

I'd go with sharp knives and beakers of acid for the weight.

Oh.... My.... Gawd....
aaa..... Wow... I've seen some scary things, and this is defiantly up there especially given the sheer amount of "scary" present.
yeah...
wow...

So very lucky this was caught before it caused serious injury or death.

Well, as everyone has said, it is a mixture of "good ole boy" technology and engineering, some "creative" rigging and some WTFWYT execution. It was not an overnite happening, it took 40 years or so to evolve. In the absence of any real rigging or entertainment industry information, if it didn't fall down, it must have been OK! We will be removing everything you see and starting from scratch, there simply is no "fix" to the rigging as you see it.

Anyone want to buy some very used pulleys and shieves???? Absolutely no guarantee or warranty!!!

ME! ME! I need a boat anchor!

ME! ME! I need a boat anchor!

Now all you need is some gaff, a bed sheet, a couple of 2x4s, some of that cable and rope and you can have a boat to go with your anchor!:dance:

Now all you need is some gaff, a bed sheet, a couple of 2x4s, some of that cable and rope and you can have a boat to go with your anchor!:dance:

Oh, CT, I got a boat baby....better believe. It's just a little broke right now. :)

I may or may not have almost fainted when I saw these...If a kid at that school had been hurt...heads would have rolled...

As much as it is scary as all heck, I am one of those booney bound rednecks who grew up in theaters like this before being sent off to the pro world and becoming a rigger. And looking back at some of the places I worked before knowing better (and then leaving with long letters of reasons why I could no longer be associated with such venues) makes me feel very lucky when I climb multi-million dollar truss works at arenas and venues. Things like this are more common than anyone wants to believe, but things are expensive and people usually don't know any better. Its the plague of the American theater guild movement. These groups are taking home in small venues that may have been built many many years ago (my current record was a group I became associated with out here in a 180 year old theater in high school), and they simply cant do anything about it. Grants!! Write for them! And then write for more..and another, and when you get that one, write for two more. Education is whats needed folks..Spread the safety gospel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back