Rigging Math ?

Your load will probably be 50/50, or close to it until your angle becomes so high that the top point starts to lift the shell ceiling. Probably 45ish degrees. Take a 2' long bar and hang it from two scales and start changing the angle and see when the weight shifts.

That's great and all, but OP wanted to know how to figure it out beforehand. Seems like no one's got that particular formula stashed away...

Bill is right. Hence my opening comment, hang it on one set. I like his method with chain. Cheap and simple. It only works to a certain angle where the weight of the shell ceiling overcomes the friction of the chain. Wrap the chain around the pipe once before making your second connection to add friction.
@Ted jones You've sort of covered this but could you not wrap the chain two or three times over and round the pipe prior to bringing both ends down and attaching to your piece??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

That's great and all, but OP wanted to know how to figure it out beforehand. Seems like no one's got that particular formula stashed away...
A structural engineer will probably have that formula. However, an SE will probably have the numbers for hard hangs. Soft hangs like this are difficult to calc due to movement.

I'll send our SE a note and see what he says.

T

@Ted jones You've sort of covered this but could you not wrap the chain two or three times over and round the pipe prior to bringing both ends down and attaching to your piece??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Two or three wraps is asking for fouling. Try one wrap. See the sketch.

Attachments

• SGrand Stag18111510360.pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back