rining in the ears

Pie4Weebl

Fight Leukemia
I just got back from a concert (Subtle and TV on the Radio) and my ears were ringing and I recall hearing a saying that when you hear ringing in your ears you never hear that frequency again. Is there any citable truth to that tale, or is it an old wives tale passed around?

I'm no Doctor < but I play one on tv> < sorry ,old joke> But typically Tinitinitus or ringing in the ears, especially after exposure to a loud atomosphere such as a concert is merely a warning that you have severely stressed your Nerve receptors in the inner ear. While long term exposure to that same amount of volume willdefinately result in long term hearing loss ,an occasional ringing from a concert, while not necessarily healthy is not an indicator of a lost frequency.

I did in my left ear at a concert when I was a kid. Seated in the front row on the extreme house left. I was standing literally 4 feet in front of the speakers with a 2 foot wide cone at ear level... turning my head to the right to see the band. Too dumb to go shove some toilet paper in my ears. The feeling I had then wasn't ringing. It was more like a low budget speaker buzzing because it's being over driven with a lot of distortion. Afterward, I felt this borderline painful throbbing in my ear from the blood pumping along with hearing a really high frequency hiss for a couple hours. 20+ years later I still have pretty good hearing and haven't noticed any major problems or lack of frequencies. However any time I go to a concert today my left ear immediately goes into that weird distorted overdrive condition and I feel the same pulsing and hissing afterward for a couple hours.

.......However any time I go to a concert today my left ear immediately goes into that weird distorted overdrive condition and I feel the same pulsing and hissing afterward for a couple hours.

You sure that's not just a flashback ? :mrgreen:

I see purple spiders everytime I hear David Bowie sing.

yeah I had heard that too van, and I was quicker to believe that than the "you will never hear that frequency again!" tale.

years back, waaaay back in the late 90's, since I'm not that old (17), when I was about 8 I screwed up my ear and although I can still hear just fine, I have an annoying ringing that's more prominent in silence.

The ringing itself is not a sign of damage though it is a good warning and experiencing it too often will result in damage. I did alot of touring at one point in the past and I now have a perm high freq loss. It's not freq specific, but more of a simple roll-off. When I mix now I have to keep that in mind to avoid making things over bright.

My Father was an NRA Rifle Instructor when I was a kid. He spent way too much time stuffing cotton in his ears when He'd loan his ear protectors to new students who didn't have the proper equipment. Well now he can't hear crickets that freq is simply gone. It's actually kind of nice for him though, My folks live out in the country in Oklahoma. Come summer time there I couldn't the TV for all the cricket noise. Dad? he didn't have a problem he was blessed. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back