Road Managment

Mercedes

Hello all! I'm hoping to pick your brains about this area.

I had an opportunity recently to have a good talk with a booking agent at a booking agency near where I live. I have always loved music, and had hoped I would be able to work in the music field some day, using my skills I have developed being a stage manager. I'm currently in my second year of three in graduate school, so after I am done, I really feel like this is something I would like to explore.

I'm sure some of you have worked as a roadie or a road manager, and I was hoping to pick your brains. I really would love to get into this field, and I believe that I have a good idea of what to do, but I'm still looking for any advice that I can possibly get.

I know that I need to start volunteering at venues, and getting my name and/or face out there. I've worked some load-ins and load-outs, and volunteered at festivals. I have a band that is willing to let me start following them and getting used to the world of music and management. Please, if anyone has any tips, tricks, or possibly hear of a job, please let me know. I really believe that this is where my career will head, and am really hoping to develop skills to help me. Thank you again!

Are you looking to be a promoter's rep or a tour production manager? As a rep you would be better off with some business classes and maybe even some marketing. Many production managers have a background in sound or lights before they move over to the production side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back