Robe

DarSax

Just because I've always been curious. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Robe products--"they're dependable as Martin equipment, but a lot cheaper!"--but at the same, save for a few advertisements, I never see them anywhere. They have a DL.2 digital spot version, but I didn't even know that much until a month or so ago.

So what's the deal with Robe? Is it a national difference--it's popular over the pond, or something? Has anyone ever worked with Robe equipment?

From what I've seen Robe seems to make pretty good stuff. I had a long chat with the Robe people at LDI last fall. I was very impressed with their products. They are huge in Europe. I believe they were the primary instrument for Eurovision this year... which is a huge event if you don't know. I think they simply started in Europe and have only recently been trying to break into the U.S. market. With so many well established products here, it's tough to break in .

By the way, Robe's got a tungsten wash mover coming out that looks like great competition for the MAC T1W

Last edited:
From what I have heard, Robe has bought the rights to the Trackspot and the Technobeam and are going to be releasing them.

Long live the Trackspot!

Yea, Robe is the big thing in Europe. I've worked a little with the ColorSpot 1200, and some of it's features give the Mac2000Profile close competition. Good brand!

I worked with Robe ColorSpot 1200ATs (90% sure that was the model) in a recent production. I thought they were very nice units, the only problem we had was with the independent locking of pan and tilt. The tech that hung them forgot to unlock the pan on one of the units, so when we fired them up and ran test patterns it made funky noises from the belt drive, probably not too good for the instrument. But if you can remember to unlock everything, they seem like a solid instrument. I wasn't too involved with lighting for that show, so I can't really say more.

Knowing the fixtures have worked well for Apollo's booth during a recent LDI, I can only comment they were very reliable and solid.
On another note, the glass gobos are beautiful and made by a well-known US manufacturer...

*wink *wink

;)

Knowing the fixtures have worked well for Apollo's booth during a recent LDI, I can only comment they were very reliable and solid.
On another note, the glass gobos are beautiful and made by a well-known US manufacturer...
*wink *wink
;)

That was very funny Kelite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back