Wireless Rode Wireless Go

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Just saw the new Rode Wireless Go was announced.

https://www.rode.com/wirelessgo

tiny little transmitters and receivers. Perfect for mirrorless cameras and people who don't want to drag around a bunch of heavy gear *raises hand*

Only $199. I'm definitely going to be picking one up when they start shipping in in May/June! This will cut a lot of size and weight out of my travel kit.

Last edited:
Just saw the new Rode Wireless Go was announced.

https://www.rode.com/wirelessgo

tiny little transmitters and receivers. Perfect for mirrorless cameras and people who don't want to drag around a bunch of heavy gear *raises hand*

Only $199. I'm definitely going to be picking one up when they start shipping in in May/June! This will cut a lot of size and weight out of my travel kit.

BUT 2.4 GHZ. I'm intrigued but nervous. I almost bought one of the new Sennheiser XS packages but was worried about it's reliability in my crowded wifi environment. I really need something like this for a variety of reasons; interested to hear a real world review.

BUT 2.4 GHZ. I'm intrigued but nervous. I almost bought one of the new Sennheiser XS packages but was worried about it's reliability in my crowded wifi environment. I really need something like this for a variety of reasons; interested to hear a real world review.

I owned the first generation RodeMic Wireless Lav system and they used a two antennae system in the 2.4Ghz range. One antennae would be transmitting, and the other would be scanning for a less congested frequency. When it found a band that was clearer, it did a handshake with the receiver, who tuned it's 2nd antennae to the same frequency, then the signal switched. The now not transmitting antennae would start hunting for a clearer frequency.

This works really well. I used it for years at LDI and USITT without issue. It finally came to a head at NAMM 2018, and there was just too much wifi interference to get a clean signal. It took the busiest trade show I've ever shot at to finally overwhelm it. So, take what you want from that, but until the wifi range was unbelievably saturated, it worked perfectly. This new one has a new radio system in it designed specifically to work better under congested conditions. I can't wait to give it a workout!

There is a new company local to me that is making some REALLY AMAZING small (smaller that the Rode Go that claims to be the worlds smallest.... Perhaps in their market)
I am currently using them on a Grand Theatre production of Cabaret and I am really liking them. Using them in conjunction of a bunch of ULXD and some QLXD.

The Q5X QT-5100 has been SUPER great and I wish I had them when I've done Rocky Horror. I can hide these things anywhere...
Haven't seen the Q5X stuff pop up much, and found it difficult to find in Google without using the name. I think I might start a thread to see what people think of them.

However The Rode Go looks really useful for camera work, which I don't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back