Rogue r2 going rogue

RoryG6

hi, I use an ect element lighting board at my school and we have 2 Chauvet rouge r2 fixtures that we are having issues with. The main one being a loss of beam and strobing. After power on the lights may take time to recognise that they are turned on and will often strobe for no reason or go blank for no reason even when nobody touches the board and everything is set up to just be a white beam of light. Does anybody else know if this happening or anything that we can do to stop this happening. Hasn't occurred during a show as of yet but don't want to risk it. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Control Booth! Be sure to stop by the new members area. We have lots of students here so join in.

I read from your comments that both fixtures are doing the same thing. Either way that's a major clue.

First look for error messages on the fixtures. Over heating or failed sensors are fairly common problems with movers. Here in the States we are getting administrations limiting student access to ladders and catwalks. Make sure you have a teacher around! While there check the menu settings and make sure they match what you have written down for them. (Someone did record all that right? If not then you should!) And those settings must match the profile used in the console, there are several possibilities!

Secondly look to the DMX. Are the movers on the same run as the rest of the lights? Is there a DMX splitter or network anything in between the console and fixtures? One bad cable can cause all sort of problems. One relatively simple troubleshooting technique is to take a fixture down and run a short (known good) cable directly from the console to the light.

Another easy thing to check is whether the mode of fixture matches the profile patched in the console. If they don't match then there could be overlapping DMX address ranges where a setting meant for one fixture is being interpreted as some other setting in the other fixture. If the overlap puts bad data on the control channel it can lead to the behaviour you are seeing.

Also confirm they are getting clean power.

Thanks both, I'll try have a look tomorrow, I don't think we have what the menue settings should be (I wasn't involved in setup sadly) I also don't think it's a power issue as they seem to be capible of panning and tilting during these phases. I did wonder about the cables as this has only become apparent to me since they moved throug the rig into different positions so could be a dodgy connection or something. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

If all else fails, it may be an issue with frame rate timing. Try other options first, especially running a simple dedicated line from the board to the fixture and then terminate. If there are still issues, this little gadget might help: http://www.dfd.com/dmxdecel.html

I would bet its a DMX cable of lack of termination problem. I kind of sounds like a very long line is plugged into the fixture, but the other end is not actually plugged into a splitter or console, so the cable is acting as an antenna and picking up a bunch of RF garbage. That will cause any light to do odd things. Sometime just having the console or splitters powered off will do the same thing in a properly connected system.

R2 Spots or Washes? If Spots, and if it's not a DMX problem, it could possibly be the temperature sensor in the base of the unit mounted to the LED power supply. I've had this problem with R1 and R2 spots before. If they are fixtures you've purchased, contact the vendor to see about getting this looked at. If they're rentals, ask for replacements. I've worked with both R2 and R1 spots in heavy rental rotation and this is the only real problem I've had with them - seems to be there was a bad batch of temp sensors at some point. Chauvet has always been incredibly quick about getting replacements out though, kudos to them.

I also don't think it's a power issue as they seem to be capible of panning and tilting during these phases.

Panning and tilting is probably not a good test for adequate power. If the voltage is low ( say a long cable run with undersized cable) you can get hard to diagnose errors.

I once had a mover that would occasionally twitch on the tilt because the power was just a bit off - long undersized cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its a problem with the Rogue line in particular, but I have had issues with other Chauvet fixtures accidentally being set for "master mode." This is supposed to be used for chaining a bunch of fixtures together in one of the stand alone modes, where you have no controller. The problem is that the fixture set to Master still sends data, and it conflicts with the dmx that you are sending, making fixtures to odd stuff. Usually this happens to me with an LED par is the data line being set to Master, most of the other fixtures just become unresponsive, and occasionally change colors, or wiggle a bit.

We tried changing the cables. our only issue was changing the dmx in to the fixture. the setup has dmx in then dmx out going to a dimmer controller that powers the fixture. the dmx line that goes to the fixture is a 10 meter cable that goes from a bar in the position that the fixture was originally setup. said dmx cable runs along a cable tray (with power cables) and will be the exact reason why there are issues with the data. when we changed the cable to a dmx port that was on the bar that it was on the fixture wouldn't power on. does anybody have any ideas why this would have happened? is there a wrong config on the light or something? TIA

We tried changing the cables. our only issue was changing the dmx in to the fixture. the setup has dmx in then dmx out going to a dimmer controller that powers the fixture. the dmx line that goes to the fixture is a 10 meter cable that goes from a bar in the position that the fixture was originally setup. said dmx cable runs along a cable tray (with power cables) and will be the exact reason why there are issues with the data. when we changed the cable to a dmx port that was on the bar that it was on the fixture wouldn't power on. does anybody have any ideas why this would have happened? is there a wrong config on the light or something? TIA

I'm not sure if I am reading this correct, but are the fixtures power coming off a dimmer? If that is the case, that would be the first thing you need to correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back