Automated Fixtures Rogue R2 Spots - miscalbrating gobo wheel?

jakob223

Hi,

I have 2 Rogue R2 spots, and one of them keeps having its gobo wheel become miscalibrated during a show.

There are 2 things I can think of that might be causing problems, but I can't figure how they cause this in particular:
- I've had them plugged in for a long time and we're not unplugging them after each night's show.*
- We're using a steel (not aluminum or glass) gobo in one of the slots, which the manual warns against.

It seems to happen (most of the time) right after an effect where the prism is in and rotating and the steel gobo is in and rotating. The light moves to the next gobo in the wheel and doesn't notice that it has done this, and then every gobo on that wheel (including open, D:) thereafter is off-by-one.

I've temporarily fixed this by inserting a recalibrate control value into a few cues in places shortly after I've seen this happen, but I want to know if anyone else has seen this problem or has any ideas for solutions.

*I know this is inideal but I can't be around every night and I haven't been able to convince anyone else to do it since it involves going to outlets in an unusual place.

It's likely the steel gobo.... I'm not sure how the Rogues index but using a Hall Effect sensor and magnet has been a common method and a steel gobo (particualry if it's picked up magnetism) could be triggering a false index.

Take a look at the gobo wheel and see if it's notched (probably just 1 notch) around the edges or has a tiny magnet near the edge. If notched my guess is probably wrong... If you find a small black or gray lump glued to the edge, my guess has a bit more credence.

If you find the magnet, remove the steel gobo and see if the failure can be repeated...

@Michael Graham - Product Manager for the Rogue line - has specifically told me in the past that using steel gobos can mess up the gobo wheels. The metal gobos in the Rogues are made from thicker aluminum I believe - which reacts much differently to heat.

Better than a VL1000 though - when you put a metal gobo in one of those things the gobo wheel just flat out stops working!

I believe DHA in the UK are the only ones producing them right now - Apollo was for a while, but is not last I heard, I'm really hoping they get back on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back