Mixers/Consoles Roland m-48 Personal live mixer questions

TDsteve

I am leaning toward installing a roland system for use with a Yamaha m7cl board.

I am wondering if anyone else has this combination or if anyone else is using the Roland m-48 system. We haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase and just looking for pros and cons or any other better alternatives.

I have also looked at the www.mymixaudio.com equipment and it is pretty impressive but seems a bit hard to scroll through menus to get the desired change in a live setting. Anyone using these in a live environment?

Aviom is always the good standby but I am liking the ambient mic built in the roland system.

www.samepagemusic.com has a product I really like the look of but again I need to talk to someone who has used it or at least seen it used before. It doesn't seem very industry standard yet.

Is there any other pc ipad googleapp based digital personal monitor mixers out there?

I am a technical director for a church of around 500 that seats nearly 300. We have a live contemporary 6-10 piece band and several vocals. This is supported by the yamaha m7cl, crown amps, EAW LR mains, EAW line array center cluster, and all EAW wedge monitors. The building is a round roof design built in the early 70's and we are working with engineers who get paid more than I do to fix some of the unique sound issues but I need to drastically reduce the stage volume.

3 years ago this was done with a sr series mackie board and a couple of peavy mains with no monitors and a tube amp taken out of an older tube guitar amp. We have come along way since I have been here but it is now time for the next step. Up next.......replacing the edison base flood lights with a real lighting solution.

This is the first I've heard of the M48 (don't really keep up with Roland gear), but if the ambient mic is the only thing keeping you from getting the Aviom then I would say just stick a mic somewhere on stage and send that down a channel. The Aviom is THE standard, so much so that there is a Yamaha card just for interfacing with it. If budget is an issue maybe check out the HearBack system. It's not quite Aviom, but might work depending on your needs.

Just about everyone I've heard from that has used the M-48 system has liked it. However, you're probably already aware that the Roland M-48 system uses their proprietary REAC multi-channel digital signal. There has been no REAC card developed for the Yamaha mixers and I kind of doubt there will be, so to get signals into the M-48 system would require dedicated outputs on the M7CL and a Roland I/O box with matching inputs. It can work and people have done it, it's just a little awkward and expensive if using it only for personal monitor mixing.

As far as PC based, Software Audio Console might be an option, although it would also be a bit awkward in that the computer aspect addresses the control and user interaction for mixing but all the actual physical audio aspects (inputs, outputs, headphone amps, etc.) would need to be addressed separately via component devices that you put together into a system along with having to have a primary computer running the main software.

Are you looking to use iem or wedges?
If your talent is not all the experienced iem's can take some getting used to
One thing to look at is replacing the guitar amps etc, with smaller units or off stage units that are mic'ed
TYPICALLY with inexperienced talent they start out at a modest level, and then things just keep going round and round getting louder and louder. You would be surprised to see how many top billing acts all use fake amps on stage, and have off stage controlled systems, and use the FOH/monitor system for the actual amplification.

sometimes just getting the amps downsized, using PA to get the level, and looking at a splitter with an on stage monitor mixer with 4 auxes out (could be your could mackie) can make a big difference

Sharyn

Are you looking to use iem or wedges?
If your talent is not all the experienced iem's can take some getting used to
One thing to look at is replacing the guitar amps etc, with smaller units or off stage units that are mic'ed
TYPICALLY with inexperienced talent they start out at a modest level, and then things just keep going round and round getting louder and louder. You would be surprised to see how many top billing acts all use fake amps on stage, and have off stage controlled systems, and use the FOH/monitor system for the actual amplification.

sometimes just getting the amps downsized, using PA to get the level, and looking at a splitter with an on stage monitor mixer with 4 auxes out (could be your could mackie) can make a big difference

Sharyn

Amps are already off stage in isolation boxes. I am very familiar with IEMs and yes it will take a bit of getting used to. I am leaning towards leaving the vocals in wedges and iems for everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back