Role of a Sound Designer

DavidDaMonkey

Hey Everyone. I was wondering if it is normally the role of a sound designer to deal with any music for straight plays. I just got hired on by a company I've never worked with before and most of my work has been only on musicals, so the question has never come up. This new show, while never calling for music in the script, might benefit from some leading into each act. Is that my job?

The "normal" duties of a Sound Designer vary depending on the company and production. I would say, when in doubt, ask those that hired you. In the specific example you give, I would say you are definitely responsible for such music, if you and the director deem it appropriate for the show.

What tends to cloud the arena of sound design is when it comes to composing music. My point of view has always been that if specifically composed music is needed for the show, a composer should be hired in addition to a sound designer, and each should be credited appropriately for their contributions. However, since many sound designers also compose, this can be a bit of a grey area. Even if a sound designer composes music for a production, I still believe they should be credited as both sound designer and composer, where appropriate to recognize that they are serving in both capacities. Each really is a different set of skills and duties (although there is obviously a lot of overlap). That is my $0.02

~Dave

I totally have to agree with Dave.

A good idea for your show there is to talk to the PM, Director, etc, whatever. Do they want you to make music, even though it is not called for. Does the director NOT want music there at all?
Do they want to pay you for additional work? Will they credit you with a composition if you make one?
All important questions that you need answering. Talk to them, they won't bite.
They might relish the idea of getting you to add to the production with this uncalled for music.

+1 for discussing these options with the Director.

But in answer to your specific question -- yes I think it would be appropriate for the SD to play a large role in selecting music to accompany a play -- consider it a type of FX. At our theater we always have some form of music to accompany the non-musicals, and in some cases, major underscoring throughout most of the play.

Since I am not a music director or composer, when it gets to the point where we need a piece of music created we may pull in the resident music director (who is also a composer and has a ProTools studio) to help out.

Bottom line -- (and I'm talking non-professional theater here -- Union rules may dictate otherwise in professional theater) as SD you should be willing to get involved in anything that relates to sound reinforcement or playback for the production, including curtain call speech recordings, pre- and post-show music, etc ... to the extent that your skills allow.

In my experience, the SD is always deals with music for straight plays. It varies though, depending on the play that might not be anything more than pre-show and post-show music. A Shakespeare play with multiple and more intensive scene changes require you to deal more with music while something like You Can't Take it With You wouldn't have much at all.

I highly suggest talking things over with your TD, like everyone else has said, otherwise you may walk into a production meeting completely clueless.

Composing...well if they are expecting that they probably would have told you. They can't think that any sound tech they hire will be fully capable of composing something. If someone is composing the music though, I believe that you should be heavily involved, you are the designer of course and should have input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back