Rondel colors?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Red, Blue, Green, Amber, Clear, No Color Blue, Canary/Yellow, Surprise Pink

Where any other colors ever offered?

Not exactly other colors, but it might be noted that there were/are at least 3 variations of "Blue," approximately equal to R80, R85, and R68.

Surprise Pink sounds interesting; I can't recall ever seeing a roundel of the LAV family. I may have seen a B/G (Turquoise), or that may have just been on Kopp's website.

I've never heard of Rondel before. Who/what is it? I'm guessing based on context that they were/are a gel manufacture?

The old Kliegl catalogues list a Surprise Pink rondel, and I have never seen one, but they could exist.

I swear I've seen a Pink colored rondel, something like an R33, but I don't have any photos. I've noticed the three colors of blue before, its very apparent when they're all in the same strip. However I never had the time/ability to pull them out and see if they were from different companies (Major, Century, Kliegl, etc).

As for Blue/Green, while I don't know if any every found their way onto borderlights in our world, that color is certainly common on traffic lights and rail road signals, where it is known as "signal green". It was created to work with the very yellow light of kerosene lamps in the early signals.

Last edited:
Was actually fond of them for stationary applications as they did not fade like gel of the day. There was another version for instruments that were a series of flat glass slides in a standard (but thick) 6 or 8 inch frame. (My mind is blocking the name right now.) Again, the advantage was little or no fade. Disadvantage, they break.

One rondel I had was a UV filter for a trouper. Kind of neat. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, we have old roundels in green, amber, and possibly pink variations in storage. Since we dont have any meaningful number of them, we just run the standard red white and blue on our strips. I believe they came from long trashed footlights. Ill try to get pics at some point, but as of current they are deeply buried in lighting purgatory. I definitly remember green, amber, and variations of red and blue. Theres plenty of boxes of them, so there may be more than I think.

You guys must have been at the same club, the one with those pink Rondels... ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back