Room Controler

PadawanGeek

EDIT: Problem not solved!

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this thread, but I guess I'll just post it here.

I was wondering if you could point me to one of those switcher/controllers things that will control curtains, shades, house lights, etc. We have one of them at my church in the main building, but I can't remember what it's called. Any ideas on what it's called and where to find one, and any suggestions on a good one?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you're looking for a Architectural Structured Control System. Something on a wall with a screen with different options?

EDIT: Problem not solved!

Ooh I found it! Its the AMX ViewPoint Touch panel. Ok, problem solved!

Last edited:
This thread is really confusing--Padawan, you can delete your posts by editing them--there's a button on the bottom to do so.

There are probably several different manufacturers of this type of setup (if not many), and any one of them will do the job. I mean it's possible someone on here will know what brand and model you're talking about, but I'd say your easiest bet is to actually go to your church and find out :eek:

I was going to say ETC cause I know they do Lighting Control like that, but I don't think they have control for curtains. But I could be wrong, now I have seen hydrolic I think it was curtain and rigging control that was computerized so maybe they somehow intergrate, that was from a seperate company though and not ETC.

AMX is the manufacturer for many different systems' touch sceens. AMX markets a few of themfor direct purchase by end users the most common of which are for Home Theatre and automation control. The control that you need will be dependent on what your control system is. ET's Vista system uses a LCD touch screen which is manufactured by AMX, however As I stated AMX manufactures screens for many different companies, and different companies often require differently programmed EPROMs for there BIOS. So Check what you control system is, then ask where you can find the panel for that particular system.

Yeah my guess is you need to purchase the same brand that you already have to work with the rest of the system. At the least it would be an easier installation. So I would find out the old make and model and find a proper replacement from the original manufacturer.

I'd recommend though if you're looking to get a system installed, perhapse barbizon in your area might know? Since they do automated lighting systems like that.

Well that's easy. ETC makes controllers for everything you mentioned. Just find your local ETC dealer and talk to them. If they can't help you out, ask me and I will get the info you need for you.

Jeff

Thanks guys. I figured out that the one I'm looking for is called Unison from ETC.

Unison is very good at controlling things like motorized curtain tracks, room partitions, and pretty much anything. It's really an architectural control system that happens to be used in theaters, etc..

They do motion control thru the use of contact enclosure units that take the Unison command and turn it into the signal required by the motor that moves the object, or by interfacing with the motor control unit.

The ETC program called Light Manager is the software that allows the assorted types of stations to have the buttons anf faders assigned to activate whatever needs activation. The software doesn't care of it's a room divider opening or a house light fading. It's all done in the software and there's really few limitations as to what it can be configured to operate.

Steve B.

My follow up question is are you looking to add an additional controller(s) ?. Are there now additional things you desire to have the Unison system operate ?.

In general, it's fairly easy to add additional Unison components, provided you have an ETC authorized service tech do the work. To add controllers you might possibly need to have wiring installed for additional portable and/or wall mount permanent station(s). Then you need to add these new devices to the Light Manager config. file, with changes to be made in LM to enable the new controller(s) to work with the rest of the existing system. All this work is generally done by someone authorized by ETC to do this kind of work. This last part is kinda' important as it's very easy to screw up the current config. if you do not know what you're doing, but at this point more info. would be useful as to what you want to achieve.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back