Rope broke off of the arbor!

Absoluetly OSHA would closed down the theater in California. QUOTE]

Ain't no doubt 'bout that !.

Just ask the San Fran Opera and why all their stagehands now wear hardhats on deck. All the time. OSHA.

Makes me wonder why we ALL don't wear hard hats when someones rigging or focusing overhead.

At my space I suggested that perhaps purchasing a bunch of of movie sand bags (the ones with handles) would be a safer alternative to using counterweights on the back of flats and the acoustic shell.

Poo, Poo, I was told, "Too expensive", "They'll get stolen", "What do we need those for". Ummm... cause we've already had someone suffer broken bones when they dropped a 27 pounder on their foot ?....

Sigh.... safety is NOT the hot topic 'round my space, never has been.... though we are attempting to get our rigging systems overhauled and they see regular inspections and maintenance.

SB

Absoluetly OSHA would closed down the theater in California. QUOTE]
Ain't no doubt 'bout that !.
Just ask the San Fran Opera and why all their stagehands now wear hardhats on deck. All the time. OSHA.
Makes me wonder why we ALL don't wear hard hats when someones rigging or focusing overhead.
At my space I suggested that perhaps purchasing a bunch of of movie sand bags (the ones with handles) would be a safer alternative to using counterweights on the back of flats and the acoustic shell.
Poo, Poo, I was told, "Too expensive", "They'll get stolen", "What do we need those for". Ummm... cause we've already had someone suffer broken bones when they dropped a 27 pounder on their foot ?....
Sigh.... safety is NOT the hot topic 'round my space, never has been.... though we are attempting to get our rigging systems overhauled and they see regular inspections and maintenance.
SB

Steve,

you would have loved my old theater - our TD did make us wear hardhats (former shop formeman wen tot the hospital after someone up in the bucket dropped a wrench on his head), and back support belts and steel toed boots whenever we were loading or unload the flies. It was a pain in the you-know, but no one ever got hurt (after that), except for the one actor who got beaned when a fly boy decided to bring a hanging piece of sclupture in instead of out during PIPPIN. That was ugly!...oh, and the actress that decided to 'eek' out her applause during CHESS and held too long and got beaned by the incoming scrim (which the SM called despite knowing the actress was in the way - that one didn't make sense to me. The SM's reason, "Now she won't hold, will she?"). People are strange...

Char5lie

...oh, and the actress that decided to 'eek' out her applause during CHESS and held too long and got beaned by the incoming scrim (which the SM called despite knowing the actress was in the way - that one didn't make sense to me. The SM's reason, "Now she won't hold, will she?").

YIKES! Intentionally calling a fly cue that could injure an actor. Sounds like grounds for never working again to me. That SM should be glad he/she isn't using me for a job reference.

YIKES! Intentionally calling a fly cue that could injure an actor. Sounds like grounds for never working again to me. That SM should be glad he/she isn't using me for a job reference.

She was (at that time) married to the director, who was also the TD (set, lighting, and sound designer - he took home $45K from that show, plus her salary). Guess she felt it was more important to call the cues promptly than the safety of the actors.

I argued with her (ASM on flies at the time) and was told to call it. when the actress came off stage, she was, thankfully, not injured other than her pride. I told her to take it up with the SM - they didn't talk the rest of the show.

Just as an aside, she doesn't work in theater any more. her past caught up with her.

Char5lie

you would have loved my old theater - our TD did make us wear hardhats (former shop foreman went to the hospital after someone up in the bucket dropped a wrench on his head
The Toronto IA local mandates hard hat use in certain venues.
Quite honestly, it's a good idea.
If only someone could come up comfortable hard hats.

The Toronto IA local mandates hard hat use in certain venues.
Quite honestly, it's a good idea.
If only someone could come up comfortable hard hats.

I agree with you - both on the use of hard hats and the comfort issue. AND a comfortable welding mask. I've been looking for one of those for years!

Char5lie

She was (at that time) married to the director, who was also the TD (set, lighting, and sound designer - he took home $45K from that show, plus her salary). Guess she felt it was more important to call the cues promptly than the safety of the actors.
I argued with her (ASM on flies at the time) and was told to call it. when the actress came off stage, she was, thankfully, not injured other than her pride. I told her to take it up with the SM - they didn't talk the rest of the show.
Just as an aside, she doesn't work in theater any more. her past caught up with her.
Char5lie

See kids! That's what I'm always going on about. It's who you know, who you impress, and who you tick off that makes or breaks your career. You can fake it for a while. But eventually it catches up with you and no one wants to work with you and you will have a terrible time finding work.

They should make hard hats with memory foam inside them!

I wonder if you could scavange some from one of those bed mattresses... probably folks would notice a hole in their matress though. I wonder if they sell that stuff at a fabric store - you've got the little gray cells churning, Gaff. Thanks!

Char5lie

so i worked there yesterday...apparently it's happened to another theatre on the same campus before. the word has been spreading like a wildfire on a windy day though so i'm hoping eventually someone will blow the whislte for me. i don't wanna be the one. they've got someone coming in next week to look at it. hopefully they're request an overhaul. i'll keep you all updated.

What about the Petzl hat's Cirque wears?

Charc, we can't have you making terrible jokes AND being the grammar police. That is Derek's job.

Head protectors. w/e. Point is they are ANSI Z89.1 Type 1 Class E rated.

American hard hats

Petzl

The petzl comes in black. Bet you want one now, eh?

Derek, unlike you and me, is actually paying his bills with theatre, whilst I create bills with the hopes I will one day be paying them with theatre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back