Rosco DMX Irises Jamming

Chuck Reece

Hi All,

Recently 5 of my 6 Rosco DMX Irises, being used in 750w Source 4 units in Mode 1, have been seizing up, jamming in place and making a lovely grinding noise. When I go turn the silver knob on the back of the irises, they work for the day, but tend to stay the problem over again after acquiring signal the next time my Ion boots up.

Is this as simple a problem add lubricating the units? (If so do I lubricate the gears?) Or do stop points need some sort of adjustment?

The units are about 7 years old and have all been repaired at a rectal shop at least twice.

Thanks!
C

Hi All,

Recently 5 of my 6 Rosco DMX Irises, being used in 750w Source 4 units in Mode 1, have been seizing up, jamming in place and making a lovely grinding noise. When I go turn the silver knob on the back of the irises, they work for the day, but tend to stay the problem over again after acquiring signal the next time my Ion boots up.

Is this as simple a problem add lubricating the units? (If so do I lubricate the gears?) Or do stop points need some sort of adjustment?

The units are about 7 years old and have all been repaired at a rectal shop at least twice.

Thanks!
C
When you turn the knob, is it stiff? If they are too stiff, the motor won't be able to kick it into motion. Also, if a part is bent, it won't move smoothly or easily either. Be cautious with lubricating the iris as the lubrication may "magically burst into flames" from high temperature. Inspect all of the exposed parts (such as the leaves of the iris) for dents or bent parts. If the irises have been dropped then there is a possibility of a slight bend in one of the leaves that can jam an iris at certain points of travel. Are they just jamming on startup when they're at a random setting, or do they jam at a certain point?

Last edited:
I've taken to running them between 5 and 95%. They seem to stick when first acquiring DMX, while the board is booting, but before receiving their Home value, which I have set at 80%. It's unlikely the were dropped add they are almost always in units.

I'll inspect for heart warp and try graphite powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back