Rosco I-Cue vs Meteor Ellipscan

I second (or third) the option of looking into the Right Arms. I don't have one, but I have used the I-Cue, and it seems that the Right Arm is much better, though more expensive.

Last edited:
Looking at the ElipScan manual, it seems to have an unusual channel layout for DMX - there's the standard pan and tilt, but also a pan/tilt speed... It would seem to allow timing cues right on the unit - could someone who has one clarify this? Would this affect my ability to control it through ordinary timed cues from a board or Horizon?

One more thing: I can't seem to find anything on the site or in the manual about the power supply - as I understand, it plugs right into an everyday outlet... it also mentions having an outlet right on the unit that can be powered or shut off through an extra channel... are these all Edison plugs?

Looking at the ElipScan manual, it seems to have an unusual channel layout for DMX - there's the standard pan and tilt, but also a pan/tilt speed... It would seem to allow timing cues right on the unit - could someone who has one clarify this? Would this affect my ability to control it through ordinary timed cues from a board or Horizon?

One more thing: I can't seem to find anything on the site or in the manual about the power supply - as I understand, it plugs right into an everyday outlet... it also mentions having an outlet right on the unit that can be powered or shut off through an extra channel... are these all Edison plugs?

I know the elipscan well, too well infact. There is a pan and tilt speed, you can use it if you desire. I always set it to full and forget it, I let the board take the time (full is FAST, 0% is off). It takes 3 pin DMX and 120v Non-dim power to operate, thats it. The extra edison plug on it is for its "DJ Mode" which allows you to plug in whatever light you have it hung on to it, and it flashes it radomly to the music. Great for DJ's, bad for theatre. Its essentially just a DMX controlled relay built in. If you are on a buget, go for the elipscans. They do work rather well, and do what they need to do. I have used them in shows with hot moves, and it does work, its not the prettiest thing in the world, but it does work. For a introductory moving fixture, they work very well. PM me if you have any questions.

i have 3 meteors and i find them quite good.

Re: Patch Rosco I-Cue to Express 24/48

I got two I-Cue's for my previous life as a High School Drama Guy. It totally changed the way I did shows. By becoming all of your specials, it free's up the rest of your limited inventory. I suddenly had enough equipment to have two colors of washes. It was great! I never had a problem with them not being able to point anywhere. Position them carefully. Play around with tiping the barrel of the S4 in all kinds of crazy angles to see what gives you the best range for your space. I ended up using a crazy upside down and sort of toward the audience position that looked wrong but allowed me to hit the entire stage.

Sorry, I used them on an Express 24/48 so I can't help you with the Strand question. But I can tell you this, get in and figure out all the ins and outs of link and follow cues and doing multiple fade times at once. It can be tricky with these lower end boards. I would start a 6 second cross fade on the whole stage, link that to a 2 second blackout on the special, followed by a 0 second move for the mirror in black, followed by a 3 second fade up on the special to hopefully match the end of the crossfade. It's not that hard, but it requires you to really know what you are doing on that board. I liked to use the offline software at home. I would record the basic locations on stage, then take the design home and fill in the blackout movements later.

Resurrecting old thread, because I am trying to set up two I-Cues with an Express 24/48, and actually tried the search....

Have never used an Express before (finally get to, now that they are starting to going bye-bye...), and am working with Offline s/w first. Found personality file for the I-Cue, but when patching, it thinks the I-Cue has an integral dimmer, and won't allow assignment of an intensity channel for the associated fixture. Is there a way to do this, or do you just have to patch the associated fixture separately, and treat it like two separate entities?? Thanks.

Re: Patch Rosco I-Cue to Express 24/48

Resurrecting old thread, because I am trying to set up two I-Cues with an Express 24/48, and actually tried the search....

Have never used an Express before (finally get to, now that they are starting to going bye-bye...), and am working with Offline s/w first. Found personality file for the I-Cue, but when patching, it thinks the I-Cue has an integral dimmer, and won't allow assignment of an intensity channel for the associated fixture. Is there a way to do this, or do you just have to patch the associated fixture separately, and treat it like two separate entities?? Thanks.

Quite honestly - I find the moving light controls on an express so confusing that, for something like an I-Cue ( especially if we are not talking about too many of them) that if you have the spare faders, I would just patch them to a set of faders and set them manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back