Rosco Keystroke DOA

Chris Chapman

I see Rosco Keystroke is being discontinued on the Rosco Product List on their website. Has anyone heard about this? We use Keystroke frequently to drive projections in some of our shows and I was disappointed to find this out.

From what I have been told, Rosco has not sold enough of them to justify the software development required to get them to run under Vista or Windows 7.

Best,
John

Someone just needs to write a keyboard emulator that can run with artnet or with a Enntec widget. I would pay 50 bucks for that app.

I bet they would have good luck if they offered it as an open source solution.

Real answer from Rosco:

"Hi Chris,

The sad truth to our dropping Keystroke is that it imply has not sold as well as we expected. I was very optimistic during this launch because I too think it's a great product. Here's the situation. Keystroke is basically a circuit board in a box with some connectors. We can certainly repair the connectors if they fail. However, we will not be able to address component level problems on the board since we will no longer be having the boards made for us. You may find, if you need, that we have a few left in stock. When we discontinue an item, there is often short runs of inventory left on the shelf. This will likely be true with Keystroke.

Joshua ALemany - Rosco Dir. of Product Marketing."

From what I have been told, Rosco has not sold enough of them to justify the software development required to get them to run under Vista or Windows 7.

Best,
John

I just put up a show using Keystroke on a PC I am pretty sure was running Windows 7...

-Tim

I just put up a show using Keystroke on a PC I am pretty sure was running Windows 7...

-Tim

I would love to have you verify that for me, and let me know what you used for a driver if it was 7. I tried using 7 for a show I just closed and didn't have any luck getting it to work. I haven't had a chance to look back in to it, but it is on my to do list. Knowing of a success story would certainly motivate me...

Best,
John

It is all about developing the software that goes with it.

~Dave

Why does it need software? Why couldn't it just show up as a keyboard to the computer and send [Space Bar] whenever it receives the right DMX data. It could be programable through some buttons on the device, RDM, or even by sending certain DMX data to it.

Well if it is merely a circuit in a box then why does it cost ~$400. I feel like someone could hack together something that did this job for under 100 dollars.

arduino w/ dmx shield>gutted keyboard>autohotkey>...

That's not a bad idea. I might have to throw something together as a proof of concept.

Why does it need software? Why couldn't it just show up as a keyboard to the computer and send [Space Bar] whenever it receives the right DMX data. It could be programable through some buttons on the device, RDM, or even by sending certain DMX data to it.

That's not a bad idea. I might have to throw something together as a proof of concept.

Keystroke Hardware is just converting DMX to USB. THe software is doing the keyboard mapping, channel assignments, and other goodies. Out of the box there is no addressing going on.

Keystroke Hardware is just converting DMX to USB. THe software is doing the keyboard mapping, channel assignments, and other goodies. Out of the box there is no addressing going on.

I'm saying why not do that in the box instead of on the computer. It would be cross platform that way.

I'm saying why not do that in the box instead of on the computer. It would be cross platform that way.

It would be more limited than what Keystroke currently does. Keystroke can do stuff you can't do with simple key presses. That said, Keystroke is going away, so what you're talking about would be 90% of what Keystroke does, and 100% better than nothing at all. I'd be your first customer, except I already have my keystroke and I love it. :)

The real issue is some what subtle, Rosco is a respected supplier to the theater industry and you would have thought that they would have secured a way to maintain these units for a more significant length of time.

Sharyn

The software and hardware is incredibly basic, I could whip one up in a day with $50 of materials. The added cost comes from the man hours required to develop and support the product in a professional manner. As for repairability: it's just a circuit board in a box, "fixing it" involves a garbage can and a replacement unit, one which they are no longer manufacturing (same reason why you can't get Intel to sell you a replacement Pentium 4). They can't be expected to continue large-scale production of a product they no longer sell, especially once warrantees have run out.

Last edited:
I realise the product Rosco Keystroke is discontinued.
I'm unable to find the software for it anywhere on the web.
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction for the Mac Software.

Much appreciated

Sammy

While I have never used the product, my understanding was that it interfaced with the computer as a remote keyboard. Based on that, all the drivers would have been on the device itself (kind of like a USB drive). If all else fails, have you contacted Rosco?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back