Rosco Opti-Sculpt

Scenemaster60

In the last day or two an advertisement showed up in my FB feed that intrigued me. It is for a new difussion product from Rosco called "Opti-Sculpt". It is offered in 11 very precise beam-shaping spreads. Not exactly cheap at $50 for a 20"x24" sheet, but much more affordable than the Luminit difussion products.

Here's a link to Rosco's product page -
https://us.rosco.com/en/product/opti-sculpt

I'll be curious to hear about people's experiences with this product. As we all encounter more and more LED instruments with beams that are too narrow for the applications we are being asked to use them for, I can see this more affordable option being really useful.

I used this in some LED fixtures last summer and was very impressed by it. It worked really well and was easy to work with. I was able to cut it like a regular piece of gel. It seems to hold up but I don't know if it is as durable as the harder plastic ones.

I've got some sample pieces of it and just playing with it and a flashlight, it seemed to do exactly what it described - haven't had a chance to use it in a show situation yet but I was quite impressed with how much it did in fact spread out the light, compared to a 'regular' piece of frost or silk.

I also got a sample set some time ago. I've been considering using it in place of manufacturer supplied lenses as it seems a bit less expensive and more varied than some.

Standard gel is horrible on most LED fixtures so I've always used LED specific materials. I've presumed that many companies are using Luminit or similar. Rosco certainly knows about sheets of plastic.

Can anyone tell me anything about using it with traditional instruments? I’m considering trying it on some Source4 jrs lamped at 575, but the price is scaring me off if it’s going to burn through in a few hours. Anyone?

Rosco also sent me a sample back around christmas because of a post I made here on one of the threads about LED wash shootouts. It certainly appears to do what it advertises. They says its heat resistant and fine for both LED and tungsten fixtures. We didn't go much further looking into it since a typical frost usually does what we're looking for, but there were a bunch of options.

I’m just wondering because these lights are going up for a month in a rather inaccessible area, and since the run is a month, I don’t want to have to go change gel just in case. Problem two is that due to crappy circumstances, I can’t use instruments I want to use, so I thought maybe I could cheat with the opti-sculpt and spread the 36 degree to 50 some but not stretch it the other direction too much. If it wasn’t for the pain of getting up there, I’d just use R113 Matte Silk, but if I get a hot spot the way they run the lights I know we’ll have melt through. Just curious what people have to say.

I've been using it on about 70 ETC ColorSource PARs instead of the rather expensive ETC lenses. Gives much more choice of beam spreads at less expense. They work well but one needs to come up with a labeling system that includes beam spread, direction of oval spreads, and front/back. A crew person cut up several sheets of 5 different types of filters and then realized he couldn't tell them apart. Way more difficult than one would believe to tell them apart after the fact.
The only difficulty is using them is figuring out a way to rotate them in the gel frame as there are a lot of oval beam spreads. Somebody should come up with a cheap rotatable frame for these.

Somebody should come up with a cheap rotatable frame for these.
Cut them with a circle cutter then any standard frame works.
1582577620074.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back