Rosco's "Wallhugger"

What's with you light people?
Get with the times already, we have a perfectly good power connector.
We call it PowerCon.
proxy.php

You sound people must be from the future. Where are the exposed metal blades/pins? ;)

Performance Lighting in Chicago uses Powercon for some things. I always disagreed with the idea of custom or unusual connectors from a business standpoint. If it's harder to use, it won't get sub-rented as much. Unless, of course, sub-renting isn't part of your business model.

The other issue is, will Powercon handle a large moving light, such as a Mac2K or ShowGun?

Performance Lighting in Chicago uses Powercon for some things. I always disagreed with the idea of custom or unusual connectors from a business standpoint. If it's harder to use, it won't get sub-rented as much. Unless, of course, sub-renting isn't part of your business model.
The other issue is, will Powercon handle a large moving light, such as a Mac2K or ShowGun?

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/204_390365502/PowerCon%c2%ae_20_Amp_productlist.aspx

The "regular" powercon connectors are rated 20 amp. There are new ones that are rated for 32 amp.

--Sean

Last edited:
Reactions: len
Speaking of pronunciation:

Socopex. Is that pronounced Soco, like coco, or the abbreviation for Southern Comfort, or like sock-oh?

Hmm, a "how to pronounce things" in the Wiki?

ITS A SERIES OF TUBES!

Oh, maybe version 3.0 will have sound bytes.

"Oh my God. It's full of stars."

Speaking of pronunciation:
Socopex. Is that pronounced Soco, like coco, or the abbreviation for Southern Comfort, or like sock-oh?

We always call it multi or mult (sort of like malt) because Socoplex is a brand name. But it's become like Kleenex and Xerox. The brand name has become generic to the product.

Assume nothing Charlie, I have no idea what you mean.

It's a four second clip that it explains it all.

I'm really surprised you've heard anyone refer to the "internets" before. I run in to it all the time, even in casual discussions with friends.

CNN gives their own retelling.

Again, back to topic. One of the major disadvantages I see in the Neutrik PowerCon line is that it specifically says it IS NOT a "breaking connector," meaning it is not designed to be plugged/unplugged while live. A rule everyone should live by in the entertainment industry is, unless you can see both ends of the cable, assume it IS live. This means no touching of contacts, and taking utmost care when connecting/disconnecting anything.

Just some friendly advice.

PS: Anyone ever seen a 6x PowerCon<->Socapex break-in/out? I thought not.

Back off topic.

Mic cable can carry 48 volts, right? Doh! I should have thought of that. I was talking to the ME at my internship Monday, asking him what he did for projector dousers for their great season opening production. He said that they used the CD tray thing. I made mention that I had wired one up recently as well, and gripped at the cost of "intercom wire" from radioshack for the last minute project. He told me they used XLR connectors to/from the motor and power supply, and ran mic cable. Pretty neat, huh? After reading all the DMX vs snakes brouhaha I thought this practice might also be looked down upon. Makes sense to me, how about anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back