Rounded/Pointed Caps for Circuit Strips

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
A thread on confetti use reminded me of an important feature of electrics I'd like to see. Calling @STEVETERRY, @DavidNorth, and @teqniqal to the conversation.

I'd like to see the tops of circuit strips have an add-on pointed cap that prevents anything from sitting on top of the strips that can fall down at an undetermined time. In some cases, it's to keep confetti or plastic snow from catching on the top of the strips and living there forever, but the more serious use case is when someone is servicing an instrument with multiple tools (wrench, screwdriver(s), etc.) sets a tool or piece of hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, what-have-you) down on top of the strip and forget about it. Then the electric gets flown out and, a gust of air or bump to the electric later, and something comes falling from above onto someone's head.

The flat tops of those distribution strips is all too tempting to use as a shelf if people are given the option to use it as one. Rounding it or giving it a pointed top eliminates the potential for someone to leave a tool or piece of hardware on top of the electric, which is easy for someone to miss when flying the electric out, only for an unsuspecting bystander to discover later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tex
I saw a distro system in London where the batten was the wireway and receptacles were in a fitting like a condullet. Especially neat for studio pipe grid systems. Wish a US manufacturer would look seriously at it.

As for the current ones, I know I specifically check them at punch list time. Electrical contractors are especially probe to leaving extra hardware from hanger brackets sitting on these.

Just like watching cable swags and making sure the area is clear before flying, I think this has to be part of a check each time.,

Since a separate raceway is required for low voltage, it seems like it could be placed there. The add on could be a vertical face on one side and taper down on the other. It is to the point that DMX and perhaps even Ethernet should be run to every electric.

If all you want is a rounded profile, my suggestion would be black pvc pipe sliced lengthwise and secured with some sort of bracket. For real low tech, you could do half-round pipe insulation.

-Todd

Sent from a mobile device

If all you want is a rounded profile, my suggestion would be black pvc pipe sliced lengthwise and secured with some sort of bracket. For real low tech, you could do half-round pipe insulation.

-Todd

Sent from a mobile device
I would avoid the insulation, as it's flammable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back