router collet queston

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Ok, I can understand every year having to replace the velcro bottomed sanding disc on my random orbital sander, but to have a collet for the router constantly have to get replaced - this even if I blow it off and spray it down with WD-40 with every bit change.

This sticking in the later sense much possibly in damaging the C-Ring about the collet as the only hard point so as to extract a stuck one with. Older it gets, less it sticks inside the nut and more dinged up that ring gets. I know like a drill press chuck it’s a pressure fit, and I do lube up the bit and collet so hopefully that part of the nut meant to retain the C-Ring from it’s chuck but they still constantly fail.

Is it that I’m leaving the collet clamped down and bit in between uses causing this problem? As with draining the air compressor, should I be removing the bit from the router as a concept in not getting stuck? If not, what other methods or products are out there - say less cutaways on the collet as an after market product?

What brand(s)?

What brand(s)?
Bosch 1617EVS and a older B1350 of similar brand and collet type.
The 1/4" size I mostly use and are the ones that therefore the only ones I have needed to replace so far. Perhaps more like every other year for me these collets given I don't use tthe tools every day or as much as I used to. This also makes it curious as I don't ever remember having to replace a collet like 10 to 15 years ago when I did for the most part use the origional rounter as with others almost every day. Perhaps start buying more 1/2" router bit's otherwise in having less problems with collet's locking up?

This above questioned concept perhaps going back to the removing the bit / tension from the collet if not going to be using it for a few days/weeks on end at times. Feasable even if oiling, blowing and cleaning between bit changes? Bosch manual says don't pound the collet / bit (forget which) out of the tool yet doesn't give a solution to getting a stuck bit out. Didn't mention either the need to remove bits for storage / non-use. Yea, all around, I can understand why for many reasons not to pound out a collet or clamp a bit in wedging or screwing it out and to be replacing the collet for only a little over $20.00 each I find out is cheap enough. Still though once they start getting stuck and Liquid Wrench doesn't help to get the bit out, how do you get it out assuming you can't vise grip the bit itself and leverage or twist it out with lots of oil? Got a special wedge tool to get the chuck off my drill press.. nothing for routers or better collet designs out there for 1/4" bits? I know denatured alcohol works well with rubber grommets on cable, perhaps use that?

Why is it getting stuck - perhaps alluding to the above of under tension too long and perhaps full of dust by the time I next use it or want to change bits thus remove all bits after the project if going into storage? Also, if the above is true in WD-40 being bad (love to learn more in general about that), what to use? I have some Tri-Flow at home, work better? Anything else recommended that's commonly available?

Also have a 1638 (kind of like a RotoZip) I mounted a better plate and lock for it in better accuracy to be more like a laminate trimmer, but use it less and for more light duty work thus have not had any problems with it's collet. This removal problem on 1/4" bits even if not used for months on end. Sticks a bit the the collet itself extracts given a more parallel shape to it with convex ends.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back