Router for ETC Element

Hi - in general a router would add a layer of complexity to your setup, because it is meant to route information between two independent networks. An access point (which just extends the lighting network from wired to wireless) might be a easier option.

However, it depends on what network infrastructure you already have:

• Are you looking for something to connect directly to your Element because you currently have no lighting network? Then go with a router - it's all self-contained in one device. Pretty much any off-the-shelf router will work.
  • If you already have a network with POE available at network jacks, go with an access point.

How large of an area do you need to cover?

Does your school IT department allow you to set up your own wireless network? - sometimes they are very possessive of "their" wireless spectrum on campus.

If all you are using the wireless for is the aRFR app, then you don't need top-grade equipment.

Hope this helps-

Todd

We use an old "cast off" from my business. Only the light board and the sound board are on that wireless router. No outside connection or internet access. This may be one of those times where asking for forgiveness may be better than asking for permission. Can even set it to not advertise/broadcast the ssid.. so unless someone is really doing a wifi policing.. no one need be the wiser... and you can just shut down the router when it's not in use. No more impact on the local wifi spectrum than someone walking into the Auditorium with their phone hotspot enabled..

Hi - in general a router would add a layer of complexity to your setup, because it is meant to route information between two independent networks. An access point (which just extends the lighting network from wired to wireless) might be a easier option.

However, it depends on what network infrastructure you already have:

• Are you looking for something to connect directly to your Element because you currently have no lighting network? Then go with a router - it's all self-contained in one device. Pretty much any off-the-shelf router will work.
  • If you already have a network with POE available at network jacks, go with an access point.

How large of an area do you need to cover?

Does your school IT department allow you to set up your own wireless network? - sometimes they are very possessive of "their" wireless spectrum on campus.

If all you are using the wireless for is the aRFR app, then you don't need top-grade equipment.

Hope this helps-

Todd

Agree and also most home "routers" also have DHCP servers and you do not want more than one (or any, depending on protocol) DHCP servers on your network. That can make for some really crazy problems that take a while to troubleshoot.

John

I've heard and hopefully will get some verification here, that Apple AirPort both Extreme and Express work very well.

"Hello, ETC? I've got an Element hooked up to an Express..." "No, no, an Apple Express. The Apple Airport. No, now why would I want to fly to Cupertino?"
Could be a whole bit.

A little bird tells me Apple discontinued all AirPorts in 2018. Should be plenty on the used market then.

I use one of these:

I didn't purchase it specifically for this purpose, but I had it laying around and it works great. IIRC, I gave the WAN port on the device a static IP on the lighting network (no DHCP on the lighting network, everything is statically assigned). I have a hidden SSID that I can connect my phone to for using aRFR. The router gives my phone an IP and then I am on the lighting network. It is pretty low power, but it covers my room sufficiently and can connect anywhere I need to be for the purpose.

I use one of these:

I didn't purchase it specifically for this purpose, but I had it laying around and it works great. IIRC, I gave the WAN port on the device a static IP on the lighting network (no DHCP on the lighting network, everything is statically assigned). I have a hidden SSID that I can connect my phone to for using aRFR. The router gives my phone an IP and then I am on the lighting network. It is pretty low power, but it covers my room sufficiently and can connect anywhere I need to be for the purpose.
If you're using aRFR, let me recommend that you look up the aftermarket OSCrfr; it is excellent, and well worth the money for the paid version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back