Design Rubbish install; any advice?

LDash

we have our new drama studio its all fine but its not what we wanted at all. the control room has been placed in the middle of the studio so there intention was to peform length ways(were we want to peform width ways witch then makes the stage the right size instead of really long and thin)
they used a differant company for the install which was nto the one we wanted. just so they didn't have to spend slightly more money.

but anyway, we have a problem with the control system now. the lights have a type of "surge" so it makes them just blink when we don't want them to. and even worse sometimes a lantern stays on when it has been took out on the desk.:!:
this is how our system works:

zero 88 46 frog/5 pin dmx lead/dmx splitter/dmx installation patch panel/installation wire/36 chanel dimmer packs/LX bars

i was woundering wether any oen new how to fix this or would it involve getting some one in to do a complete re wire??
thanks in advance:grin:

Its probably just a bad data run, either bad cable or bad termination. Get the company back out there, they should fix it. As far as the booth thing goes, Placing a booth in a a black box is not an easy thing to do, no matter what you will want to do a configuration that the space was not designed for. This is why we have CCTV and the like. I have done shows in black box settings where the booth could not even see the performing area, so we moved the SM and left the board ops in the booth so they could just listen.

ok thank you footr. do u just recomend trying a new dmx cabel to start with and if the porblem continues then get the company back.

also this dont realy have much to do with this most but is there any way to stop"curious fingers" removing screws from the dmx and mic sockets around the studio. as i noiced today whilst i was in there one of the dmx sockets was hanging out of its back plate:evil: so ive just put a bit of blue tack on it for the moment until i get some screws.

Use pop rivets instead of screws.
You can get a pop rivet gun for around $20.
Find Professional Easy Pull Rivet Tool and other Rivet Tools at Aubuchon Hardware
proxy.php

ok thank you. but if i do use pop rivits how would i oen it up again if i needed to

Start with the basics.

Get Google Toolbar, it has a great spell check function, and that is sorely needed here..

Sorry for the attitude, but reading your posts makes me wonder if they are still teaching anything related to Spelling in schools these days. Sigh.

Steve B.

You can use a drill and drill out the rivot or you could grind the head off of it.

(if you do choose to do either of the above, safety glasses and some good quality leather gloves)

Since it's a new install I agree that you, most likely need to get the company back out there. That being said, with you next post talking about panels hanging open..... one of my most common repairs when I was Feild teching for ET, was having to go in and re-solder or repatch DMX panels. curious folks would start dinking around with stuff and before you know it a solder joint had come loose or a punch down connection had pulled loose. It's quite possible that the surges you are expiriencing are a result of a bad connection and one of the first steps in avoiding Bad connections is tamper-proofing your system.
As far as the set-up of the room, one thing I have found over the years of being on both sides of the theater construction business is that the client gets what the client asks for. typpically however the Client is the architets who draw up the space. The Architects are supposed to be following the wishes of their clients unfortunately, in the entertainment business this is where the thread usually falls apart 'cause the Archies are talking to the School Board, or the Facilities guys who, typically, know NOTHING about theatre. Unfortunately it is usally the theatrical contractor who does the finally Theater specific work that gets the blame of all the bad decisions made prior to their arrival on the scene. Been there done that, didn't want the t-shirt.

You're not using any "difficult loads" like a pinspot or anything, are you?

no im not its just about 10 fresnels(can't rember exactly how many) and about 5 selecon PC's and 5 selecon fresnels
3 selecon profiles and4 par 64's
and some times extra fresnels when needed btu they are awaitign repair when i get round to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back