Design Run Light Color- Blue or Red?

The blue glass globe option that comes with the jelly jar style lights we use - usually at least at 4 corners and then sometimes in a few more places. I like the blue glass and so no leaks - like colored lamps seem to have - and have more recently gone to cfls from the venerable 60 watt A lamp. (When we have the budget and the right type of user who can deal with and appreciate it - I do like the GDS Blues System - http://www.gds.uk.com/#!bluessystem/cbyi)

I did a little experimentation this morning after reading this thread-
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue CFLs all the way! I've never thought about the red, but that makes sense. Our patrol units when I was with the local PD had "stealth mode." When we switched it on, all of the interior lights switched to red, and the dome light in the ceiling was also red, so I guess it makes sense.

This is all very interesting, but here in the Twin Cities in the professional venues that get inspected regularly, the various fire marshals have declared clip lights unsafe and not to be used regardless of lamp type. I know that the Ordway and the University of MN theaters have dumped all of theirs and are using semi-permanent LED sources with low-voltage power supplies that are plugged directly into wall receptacles.

What are other folks in heavily-regulated markets using?

It is also my understanding that if the 2016 National Electric Code goes through as it is now proposed, ALL cable used onstage and backstage including power to practicals and work lights will need to be 12/3 SO. Apparently this is just starting to be debated and it isn't law yet.

Are those products actually shipping yet?
I got a quote and generated a PO. Batts is an approved vendor for most Texas school districts. I've used them for years. Great people. I don't know when they'll get here or when they'll get installed, but they've been ordered. :)

I got a quote and generated a PO. Batts is an approved vendor for most Texas school districts. I've used them for years. Great people. I don't know when they'll get here or when they'll get installed, but they've been ordered. :)
Well OK. I'd like to name their 4th wall stage edge light as an equal to Edge Lyte product, but was not confident it was other than prototype.

looks good
how about just adding tabs to the outer edge of the foil, then you could just fold the tabs around the lip of the reflector.

or forget the foil and just use small binder clips

I think that might work best, there are still a few light leaks since the foil flexes a bit more than a rigid frame would.

We also use jelly jars and red as it's a bit easier on the eyes plus the blue didn't work for the horses, they kind of blended in with the walls :/. So every season we respray the jelly jars with red spray and whala. Backstage lights.

many of those reflectors are just a bit over 8" so you can take a 8" color frame and just insert the reflector.. i did have to bend the frame open a bit so the flange fit.

Last edited:
Personally, R27, I've noticed that i cannot see when people move backstage with it, also red keeps the crew awake ( we got a few sleepers, think of a red eye flight thats my reasoning ) however, everywhere I've been uses assorted dark blue, and I've noticed i can see the crew, and cast moving backstage

We aren't very regulated but since I am at a high school and I want to set an example for my students, I actually use the fixtures from their old auditorium that were just sitting around taking up space, instead of their old clip lights. So our work lights are four S4 Parnel fixtures hung at the very end of the downstage and upstage electrics. I add two more fixtures for the middle school shows on the mid batten. (for some reason the middle school people can't see in the dark as well as my high school students)

We aren't very regulated but since I am at a high school and I want to set an example for my students, I actually use the fixtures from their old auditorium that were just sitting around taking up space, instead of their old clip lights. So our work lights are four S4 Parnel fixtures hung at the very end of the downstage and upstage electrics. I add two more fixtures for the middle school shows on the mid batten. (for some reason the middle school people can't see in the dark as well as my high school students)

I wish I had "old" source 4 parnels just sitting around taking up space.

This is all very interesting, but here in the Twin Cities in the professional venues that get inspected regularly, the various fire marshals have declared clip lights unsafe and not to be used regardless of lamp type. I know that the Ordway and the University of MN theaters have dumped all of theirs and are using semi-permanent LED sources with low-voltage power supplies that are plugged directly into wall receptacles.

It is also my understanding that if the 2016 National Electric Code goes through as it is now proposed, ALL cable used onstage and backstage including power to practicals and work lights will need to be 12/3 SO. Apparently this is just starting to be debated and it isn't law yet.

Clip Lights NG ?, Really ?.

Anybody know the rational ?, as I'm not seeing the purported issue. Hot fixture too close to potentially flammable scenery ?

Curious.

Clip Lights NG ?, Really ?.

Anybody know the rational ?, as I'm not seeing the purported issue. Hot fixture too close to potentially flammable scenery ?

Curious.
I would see the bare lamp being too close to people's skin as an issue. Also, if the bulb breaks there is nothing to catch the glass before it is on the floor.

These are the reasons why I don't use them in the high school

Too bad that these new rules on clip lights will likely only be followed by the most diligent or stringently policed among us, while I'm sure in other places they will continue to be used along with orange 16/3 SJTW and cast dog clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back