Running Lights

I don't know what made me think of this today, but I remembered when I toured the University of Evansville Theatre Dept. They had some neat home made lights for running lights. They were a standard 75-watt(ish) bulb in a screw base. The base was mounted on a square piece of plywood. Over the top was a top and four sides. (So it was a cube... 8"x8"x8" roughly.) The top was just another piece of plywood (with a few small holes for venting.) The sides had holes in them with a gel frame in a slot in front. If they didn't need light coming out of one-two-three of the sides they would just drop a mirror or a piece of plywood in the slot. To provide a darker look, they would have a blue or a red gel in it.
Thanks for the home made idea and thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. You've all put out some great ideas that I can pull from!

These things are no fun to gel, and the musicians hate it when you do. If the gel could easily be attached, cleanly, one might think that they would leave it alone.
Given they are musicians, that is asking a lot. I should know, I was one. Musician with a tech background, every TD's favourite symphony member :twisted:

Blue fish tanks bulbs would also make me a happy camper. But I've never been able to find any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back