Runway Rope Light Help

I am running a fashion show for my university.
We already bought a 200' spool of 3/8'' incandescent rope light (120v).
Since our school facilities is to lazy to rearrange the stage we already have, we have to rent staging to form a runway.
I want to light the edges of the runway with the rope light so the models know where the edge is.
My question is what would be the best way to mount the rope light to the edge of the stage and runway?
I had Christmas light clips that we were going to use, but they make the light hang below the runway, so the models would not be able to see it.
Most other mounting options I have seen in local stores require screws. The lip of the stage hangs down about 1 1/2''-2", so I don't know what type of clips that would work if we decided to use clips.
I have also seen the mounting tracks, but they are overpriced at my local hardware stores, and we don't have enough money to buy tracks for all 200'.
Any suggestions for a cheaper, removable mounting option?

I take it screwing or nailing into rental staging is frowned upon? I've used double-sided tape before and it worked fine.
proxy.php

One could also probably use 2" clear packing tape (cello tape), but it might be harder to remove.

Be aware of the dangers when working with ropelight: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/news/9164-fire-high-school-stage-causes-25-000-damage.html .

Last edited:
You might even want to consider Gaff tape ( black or white depending on the color of your stage). Sure it will be obvious if someone looks at the light that there are these opaque connections - but if all you are doing is trying to show the models where the edge of the stage is, this might be the quickest, easiest way to attach the rope light.

( I say this because I recently used some gaff to temporarily attach a rope light to an archway - by temporary I mean for a single rehearsal. Granted it was 20 feet from the audience, but if I had spaced the tape evenly it would have been tolerable for the show. )

What about white spike tape? If you use enough of it it will hold pretty securely. Place it between he lamps, and it should be just transparent enough to disappear a bit when the rope lights are on. You could even dress the portion of the tape on stage (assuming the deck is black) with little bits of black gaff.

I know you mentioned you dont want screws, but i have used zap straps/cable ties with a screw hole on the end, for this exact same purpose

I might take a lot of crap for this but depending on what material the staging is made out of you might want to try small dots of hot glue. If the staging is a hard plastic or metal it will pull off both the stage and the rope light very clean. Just don't try to run a line of hot glue the 200'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back