Rust, what is it?

AHHHHHHH, The joy of having a father as a dentist.
In third grade he would come in to my class and lecture about hygenine a give out toothbrushes but also he would bring in a real tooth and a bottle of cola. day later the toothe was heavyly discolored. about five days later the tooth was pretty much eaten away. (the enamel on the toothe actl like the nickle on stainless steal, but once its stripped away the tooth just dissinagrates.)

So in furthering this subject that at times is over my head but is still fascinating about a non-virus as it were inherit to the metal....

Say you have a Leko and it's lens train support for the lens rusts. Would in it pitting and surface rust on it also pit and surface rust the glass of the lens the same as it would an aluminum plate stacked atop a steel plate, or would it be uneffected? Or would it have surface rust but no pitting? Would it in not pitting and to some extent a lack of air between at least parts of the metal touching the glass, prevent it from rusting? Given the structure and make up of glass is very much different than aluminum and other materials, but perhaps a good question for the science wizzards. How about lumber touching something rusting, would it also pit given it would probably stain?

the glass and the lumber could certainly stain but it gould not rust. i might be able to oxiudize but i don't thonk so and if it did it would take a billion years or so. i know that rust does leave annoying stains, espacially on fiberglass. i've got and old sailboat whose metal parts have been deterierating leaving ugly stains on the hull

I could well be wrong but isn't coal a form of 'wood oxide'? But yeah, rust leaves terrible stains on fibreglass and, I imagine, many other things. Such stains are difficult to get rid of, too.

Coal is the result of a bio/ geochemical fermentation proccess were plant materials are metamorphed into coal by a process know as bitumious fermentation. Coalficatioin is the step that occcurs after fermentation
Coal is basicly formed when plant material dies, and is in such low O2 conditions where it doesn't rot. layers of unoxidized plants formed and then are compresssed by sediments layering ontop of them. the pressures form the organic material into peat which then may be further prussuerized and change in a process of coalafication
Coal contain high levels of carbon from the organic mater that it was formed from.

SO.... Coal actully comes frm a lack of oxidation(rot) in organic material

Corrosion can occur and be accelerated under a variety of conditions. Moisture and oxygen are the basic ingredients, and then many other conditions will increase the rate of corrosion. Examples of conditions that generally speed up corrosion are elevated temperatures, high concentrations of oxygen, salt solutions, low pH (acidic), and elevated fluid velocity. Contact with dissimilar metals may cause galvanic corrosion.

Pitting is just localized rust/corrosion; water collects in pits that may form (for any of a number of reasons) and accelerates the rust in the pit. (If there is a lot of water, carbon steel will tend to rust over a broad area as fast as pits can form so one might not see pits). To put it differently, galvanic corrosion is not the only way to get pitting. And some materials are more prone to pitting than others. And some fluids, like sea water, are more likely to aggravate pitting than other fluids.

(Corrosion is a science in and of itself and people make careers out of it.)

Glass is largely silicon dioxide and is an insulator and a non-metal. As a non-metal, it does not corrode. And as an insulator, it could in theory be used between two dissimilar metals to prevent galvanic corrosion.

I would agree that lumber under "normal" conditions would have little affect one way or the other on corrosion, because it is a non-metal and an insulator. (Although something driven into wood is protected to some degree from the exposure to water and air.) Since bare wood can absorb water, metal in contact with it may stay wet longer and therefore will rust more. (On the other hand, wood that wet may rot through anyway…)

Not being familiar with the interior parts of a Leko, I'm speculating; rust in there may be aggravated by the high temperature. I'm assuming that moisture would come from the air, but I never gave any thought as to whether the air high in a room can be periodically moister that the air below. Or maybe lousy, damp storage conditions. Or maybe it’s a temperature change heating-cooling cycle issue, but that seems to be a reach, then again, every location will have specific circumstances…Also, it takes only a short time for rust to form a very thin, but visible layer. Rust-promoting conditions may only occur sporadically and all one may see over a long time is a very thin (and inconsequential) coating of rust.

[It occurred to me that I may have misinterpreted what ship meant by "spread of rust". I've been interpreting it as the spread of the action of corrosion. On the other hand, the iron oxides are weak, porous, and very, slightly soluble, so the products of corrosion that literally spread over a wider area are nothing more than staining. This is (in most cases) just a nuisance.]

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back