S4 Bench Focus Issues

Plupo

Hey all,
Just finished maintenance in one of my venues, and I have a good 5 or 6 S4s that we just cannot get in to focus. Either the hotspot continually fall from center with everything tightened, or, no matter how much push/pull into and out of the reflector we do, we still can't get an even field.
Is there a way to fix these issues? Or is it just a "bad cap," and I should replace it with a new one from the dealer?

Thanks!
PL

Have you swapped what you think is a "good cap" from one of your other fixtures onto the problematic fixtures to confirm that's the problem?

Good Morning PL

As Sean said, have you swapped cap?
Have the "bad caps" been rebuilt ( new socket ) ?
They may not have been reassembled correctly.
Has the reflector been replaced?
Is the reflector spring in place/ is the reflector stable?
What lens is in the "bad" fixtures?
36* lenses have some issues.

The hot spot moving sounds like the adjustment assy is loose. Maybe the spring is out of place
or the XY nut is cross threaded. look for the wave washer as well.
Confirm the socket leads are routed properly.

If you need, the S4 Assembly manual is on the ETC site.
Other than the casting being cracked, there's no reason the caps can't be saved.

let us know what you find.
8-|

thanks all iin above notes to do, me also confounded at times with a S-4 not able to bench focus. 36 degree lens interesting not to clarify.

Personally, all above details good and tigh if not a little more tight than should be I would think - from memory. Oterwise in my case, fully seated lamp and verified, no new or loose base, assembly correct, no reflector replacement or spring out of place. Changed the lamp installed with another prdoperly seated and same results.s

This was a few years ago since I last bench focused a S-4 but those steps I did take. And specifically remember a few lights I just could not bench short of tearing apart or I did not change lamp caps to confirm what... bad on my part.

thanks all iin above notes to do, me also confounded at times with a S-4 not able to bench focus. 36 degree lens interesting not to clarify.

Personally, all above details good and tigh if not a little more tight than should be I would think - from memory. Oterwise in my case, fully seated lamp and verified, no new or loose base, assembly correct, no reflector replacement or spring out of place. Changed the lamp installed with another prdoperly seated and same results.s

This was a few years ago since I last bench focused a S-4 but those steps I did take. And specifically remember a few lights I just could not bench short of tearing apart or I did not change lamp caps to confirm what... bad on my part.
I’m having an issue like this and have read the above notes.
One clarifier I’m wondering about is are you saying that bench focus works best with a 36 degree lens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back