Conventional Fixtures S4-PAR lamp base question.

bshock84

Hello, had a quick question about lamp bases for source pars.

I have several of the 750 watt versions and several of the 575 watt versions. I am prepping for a show and I need more 750 watts then 575s. I have studied the fixtures up and down and don't see any differences in them. Does anyone know for sure if it's ok or not ok to mix the 750 watt bases with the older fixture bodies? They all say Model EA fixture, but some say don't exceed 575 watts, and other say don't exceed 750 watts.

Just wondering if there actually a difference in the fixture body or not, doesn't seem like there is, but if anyone has more experience then I, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-- Ben

No difference in the external body--the difference between the two is in the reflector inside the unit, and the lamp cap.

Do you know for sure that ALL the reflectors you have in your units are EA? I do not see why an EA would say not to exceed 575w. If yes they are all EA's, then you should be fine provided you have 750w lamp caps to go with them (the 750w caps have a small hole which accepts the additional pin on the HPL750 lamps when inserted--otherwise you can't fit a 750w lamp into a 575w cap). If No--they are NOT all EA's and say do not exceed 575 then you could risk damage to the coating on the reflector...

The original 575w par had a MCM (metal cold mirror) reflector just like the original leko's, and is rated for 575w but the EA (Enhanced Aluminum) reflector is rated for 750w. If I recall--the MCM uses a dichroic coating over borosillicate, and the EA uses a aluminum coating. If you do not have all EA's, then again putting a higher wattage lamp & cap in an MCM may cause damage to the reflector... So before you go lamping everything with 750--double check your units to make sure they are all EA and not MCM's... If a unit says not to exceed 575--it may not be an EA.

More info direct from ETC is here:

Source 4 PAR EA vs MCM - Electronic Theatre Controls

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will have additional information to add...

-w

Last edited:
Hello, had a quick question about lamp bases for source pars.

I have several of the 750 watt versions and several of the 575 watt versions. I am prepping for a show and I need more 750 watts then 575s. I have studied the fixtures up and down and don't see any differences in them. Does anyone know for sure if it's ok or not ok to mix the 750 watt bases with the older fixture bodies? They all say Model EA fixture, but some say don't exceed 575 watts, and other say don't exceed 750 watts.

Just wondering if there actually a difference in the fixture body or not, doesn't seem like there is, but if anyone has more experience then I, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

-- Ben

Many same conversations on this topic in the past. Yes and No as end result. Yes similar, but no without modification not the same. On the fixture there is some things to make way for, in the wiring, the 575w was 18ga. and while it could do the amerage, once ETC went 750w, they also upped the gauge of wiring to 16ga.

Overall, not recommended short of modifiation and re-wiring to go 750w for a 575w fixture short of replacing it's lamp cap.

(Because I can't help myself...)
Hello, had a quick question about lamp bases for source pars. ...
The base is a part of the lamp. The socket is a part of the fixture.

Did the S4 PAR EA come out before the HPL750 (1999?)? Thus you may have some lamp caps that will not accept the 750W lamp without modification.

...The original 575w par had a MCM (metal cold mirror) reflector just like the original leko's, and is rated for 575w but the EA (Enhanced Aluminum) reflector is rated for 750w. ...
EA and MCM were both released in 1995.

ok, well I checked them all, and they all seem to be EA fixtures, I am assuming maybe they are just older, before the upgrade to the 750 lamp cap, but after the modification to the reflector?

Anyway, I will see how it goes, the end result is for video, so I doubt they will be getting to full intensity either way, but being that its for video, I wanted all the bulbs to be the same.

Thanks for the info on the reflector, I wasn't aware of that.

-- Ben

ok, well I checked them all, and they all seem to be EA fixtures, I am assuming maybe they are just older, before the upgrade to the 750 lamp cap, but after the modification to the reflector?

If they are EA, there shouldn't have been any substantial reflector upgrades dictating which lamps can and can't be used. It's only in the lamp cap. MCM's can't accept 750; it has always been 575.

...I am loose with my vocabulary terms sometimes, and that makes for confusing communication...

...I wanted all the bulbs to be the same.

Lamps ;)

(unless you're growing tulips or daffodils). [Nothing personal-- we do this to everyone. Haha]

From the ETC Wiki:

Marketing News 175
October 28, 1999

Source Four PAR EA rated to 750W

As of November 1, 1999, all Source Four PAR EAs shipped from the factory will be UL/cUL listed for
up to 750 watts.

Product Information

Source Four PAR EA's shipped from the factory after October 31, 1999, will be able to use all HPL lamps currently approved by ETC, including the 750W HPL.
Source Four PAR EA will now have a "750" on the back of the burner cap.
Source Four PAR MCM (Metal Cold Mirror) will not be rated or UL/cUL listed for 750 watts.

Ordering Information

Nothing changes! You still use the same part number you've always used. If you want to use a 750W HPL with your existing Source Four PAR EA, the change is easy! (Please note: If this change is made to existing units in the field, the UL listing of that unit is no longer valid.)

If the date code on your PAR EA is 9/98 or after, just order a new strain relief casting (part number 7061A3024) for a list price of $4.55.
If the date code on your PAR EA is 8/98 or before, just order a new burner casting (part number 7061A3023) for a list price of $10.25, plus the new strain relief casting.
To order the above parts, please contact your ETC Customer Service Representative.

Photometric Information

A new datasheet with 750W photometrics will be available by the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back