S4 PAR vs. Altman Star PAR vs. MBT etc.

I didn't realize L&E had one. The 10 inch frames would fit the top hats I have for my current PARs, but I would prefer the smaller size.

If I get any of these options I'll definitely try to locate a source for that tool.

I have one of the extraction tools that Derek has mentioned. I use it ALL the time to remove the S4 PAR lenses; it makes life much easier. I was fortunate enough to get the last one my preferred vendor had on hand :) The best $3 I ever spent! I thought he said it was made by AMDJ, but I too have never been able to find it on their site (or anywhere else for that matter).

Which is your 'preferred vendor'??

The Elation tool is part #Z-OP/LR and is listed as an optional part on the Opti-Par page Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products

I had one once but never used it.

If you have an S4 par loose (not on a batten, truss, etc.) Just rotate the clip to the top, then press it in while banging the bottom of the fixture on a case or bench. Works every time, unless the retaining clip is really bent.

Thank you Tony, and welcome to ControlBooth. Confusion still reigns...
...These are available through our dealer network, we make them...
Is there a listing of the members of your dealer network (I couldn't find it on your website)?

Can one assume the $10.29 price on your link is the MSRP, and that you do not sell direct? The vendor listed in post#11 above (and only vendor I have found) has them priced at $5.54, a somewhat significant difference to many.

Thank you Tony, and welcome to ControlBooth. Confusion still reigns...
Is there a listing of the members of your dealer network (I couldn't find it on your website)?

Can one assume the $10.29 price on your link is the MSRP, and that you do not sell direct? The vendor listed in post#11 above (and only vendor I have found) has them priced at $5.54, a somewhat significant difference to many.

Thank you for the welcome. The price of $10.29 is indeed the MSRP, many dealers will sell for less. The dealer you have listed above is a fine choice for a dealer and will be able to sell more of these as soon as our backorders are cleared (hopefully within 30 days) but they will need to increase their pricing some I do believe, freight and materials have gone thru the roof. Due to our large number of dealers (1500+) we do not list them all on our website but we are always happy to help direct you by contacting us directly. We do prefer to sell thru our dealers though. Unfortunately I do not believe that any of our dealers will have any stock on the tools for another 30 days at least, they have proven to be far more popular than we expected and we have been a victim of our own success and not fast enough to produce, that is being remedied as we speak. I do not want to clog up this board with all of our contact info but please feel free to visit Welcome to Techni-Lux at any time to get in touch with us. We are a full line Lighting Manufacturer and distributor along with a Design division if we can be of any assistance. Tony

P.S. We also sell our own version of the PAR discussed above, that is what the tool is made for actually. ;)
files\storeimages\PA-FLEXIPAR-B.jpg
http://www.techni-lux.com/default.aspx?tabid=13&id=2993

Last edited by a moderator:
A thanks to Derek for finding this and sending me one.

I got to try this out recently, swapping a lot of Par lenses around.

In a few words, it works great and is well worth it for anyone having to swap S4 lenses. It's much better then a metal paint can opener or dental pick as it will not damage the edge of the glass. It easily pushes against the spring clip, with the side teeth getting behind the lens to pry it away from the unit body.

It's something ETC should get their hands on to be sending along with the fixtures.

Good designed tool, does exactly and well, what it's intended for.

Pic's attached:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 431
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 450
I picked up a couple of the Flexi tool, or something just like it, from Ebay:
NIB ETC Source Four Par Lens Removal Tool S4 | eBay
I should do a mock rant about the huge price increase, I got mine maybe a month ago and they were only $5. each and first class shipping was only $1., now the price is $6 + $1.75 first class mail shipping. The nice thing is that MonkeyWrenchPro included a nifty neck lanyard AND some banana candy.

The s4 par lense remover tools are awesome. I've used them many times and they work brilliantly. The trick with removing par lenses is to line up the black latch that holds the lense in with the gel frame clip, hold the unit so it points down and press that latch in. The lense should slide out towards the front of the instrument. If you have one of the lense remover tools, you don't need to hold the instrument pointing down, instead just slide the lense remover tool over the latch and use the small flaps on the side of the tool to grab the lense.

If you try to remove a s4par lense without lining up the latch and the gel frame clip, the lense will get stuck.

Highly recommend those tools.

I never had issues with removing S4 lenses. Even the one time I had to run thru a batch of the Elation copies, not too bad. As long as the lens was put in correctly, it should come out easily. Just get the retaining spring in line with the gel frame clip, depress the spring with one hand, and give it a bump on a table.

It's more difficult if it's hanging in a grid, etc., but still possible.

Last edited:
I never had issues with removing S4 lenses. Even the one time I had to run thru a batch of the Elation copies, not too bad. As long as the lens was put in correctly, it should come out easily. Just get the retaining spring in line with the gel frame clip, depress the spring with one hand, and give it a bump on a table.

It's more difficult if it's hanging in a grid, etc., but still possible.

I have to say I've had issues plenty of times, but more specifically when dealing with lens sets and bodies that are a mix of different generations. While the specifications should be the same, as far as I understand it, there are slight differences that can mean easy insertion and EXTREMELY difficult extraction when the body and lens are of different generations. I've spent 15 minutes jumping up and down trying to get a lens out because it was the last S4 PAR in stock and I needed it to work. More frustrating than when a lens is partially removed with the retaining clip incorrectly placed in the body.

I picked up a couple of the Flexi tool, or something just like it, from Ebay:
NIB ETC Source Four Par Lens Removal Tool S4 | eBay
I should do a mock rant about the huge price increase, I got mine maybe a month ago and they were only $5. each and first class shipping was only $1., now the price is $6 + $1.75 first class mail shipping. The nice thing is that MonkeyWrenchPro included a nifty neck lanyard AND some banana candy.
Looks like the price is back to $4.95 + $1.75 shipping, from two different eBay vendors:
Etc Source Four Par Lens Removal Tool S4 Opti Par Lens Removal Tool | eBay
Etc Source Four Par Lens Removal Tool S4 | eBay

I remembered to take mine to work the other day as in the past this particular show had a lot of lens swappage. Alas, not a single lens needed exchanging. So I still haven't had a chance to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back