Sae or Promedia for audio

soundop

Hey guys, I was planning on going to Middle tennsee state for audio next semester, however I have found out that I probably can not afford to start and finish their program, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything of sae's 9 month program in Nashville (nashville is the area I plan on going to, but I am currently in chicago) or any other certificates that can at least get me an entry level job in the industry.

First off did you read our FAQ?

My advice is always get all the education you can afford. Don't get more education than you can afford or you may have such large debts you won't be able to afford to work in the industry. The truth is that you don't need any sort of certificate for an entry level job, you just need to find someone who needs their cable coiled and help checking in and out their rental stock. Will this lead to a great career? Maybe. The less education you have, the more luck and hard work you need to make a career out of it. However, don't feel bad if you can't afford an expensive degree. If money is tight go to a close state university and live at home. :shock: If that's still too much, look for a community college that has a good drama program with a good TD and just get in and offer to do all the sound you can for everything in the campus theater. I know of two community colleges in the Seattle area here that offer some cool audio classes. No, it won't be a degree from an amazing institution, but it will be enough to get your foot in the door and get you started. The fact that you plan to move to a city with a lot of work helps too... although Chicago isn't a bad place to start.

The truth is 5 years after college, no one will care where you got your degree and most wont even care what it is. They will want to know who you worked for and what you have done since college. Your work record will rapidly become more important than your transcript. So find a degree that you can afford and complete it. Then get out there and bust your butt working.

By the way, don't wait for college to end before you get to work work. Get out there and volunteer right now at your local community theater to run sound. Find ways to work, network with people, and impress them with your skills and dedication. You'll be amazed at the doors it opens.

Well Gaff, and I know I have posted many threads here regarding my education, so I apperciate the input, any way my problem is that I have all of my gen eds that will transfer out, the problem is that I only have 30k for the last leg of my school (and thats with some good luck from a loan fairy) any way, basically I have two years of school under my belt, with some basic and intermediate broadcasting courses, and my gen eds. the only three options I viabley see me being able to afford are SAE's diploma, Full sails asscioates (which I have heard not to even touch) or finding recording studios in chicago, and kissing some ass to see if I can get an internship or volunteer job

SAE's Nashville program is accredited, which may help with getting loans.

SAE Institute of Technology Nashville is authorized for operation as a postsecondary educational institution by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.

SAE's Nashville program is accredited, which may help with getting loans.
there job placement for 09 was 87.6 percent (TN states website)any way since I am going down there to tour MTSU just in case my rents find a way to get the money, I scheduled a tour at SAE, I mean I figure the worst case scenario is that I come out of it with some basic knowledge of recording, and some very basic recording equipment that I could eventually use to get a rudimentary studio together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back